VIII

****

I awake to the sound of glass shattering, Draco's warm body still oblivious in slumber next to me. I hold my breath waiting for another sound, this time it's a deep rumbling from the main parlor.

I shake the sleeping boy, his instinct to cover up kicking in as he realizes he's naked.

"Will you relax," I joke. "It's nothing I haven't seen before."

He shuffles under the duvet until his tiny hand reaches out from under the blanket to grab his boxers off the floor.

"I never would have taken you as shy Draco Malfoy," I say, peaking underneath as his slides them on. "You exude a.. Confidence, when it comes to ladies."

He chuckles, "Fake it till you make it, I suppose."

Our little morning taunt is interrupted by another loud crash downstairs. Draco's ears perk up as he stares at me questioningly. I shrug in response, getting up and throwing on a pair of shorts and loose t-shirt.

Something else must get tossed because with another bang, Draco's chandelier rattles.

"Shit," He mutters, putting on shorts. "We should see whats going on."

Against my better judgment, I nod and follow him down the long hallway toward the stairs. We go down slowly, the yelling become louder with each step we take. We round the corner to find all the Death Eaters in a circle, shouting about the events of last night.

"We could have won, easy!" One screams, jumping into the center as everyone chants in response.

Another, smaller, Death Eater joins him. "We should have killed every Potter we saw!"

They all scream together as a vase is picked up from a cabinet and tossed across the room. It narrowly misses my side as I duck out of the way. Draco pulls me closer as our presence is taken in.

"Well, well, well." Yaxley says, coming over and grabbing my hand. "Our apologies Miss Grindelwald, we didn't see you over there."

I let out a fake chuckle, "No worries. Just glad Greyback has terrible aim."

My comment thrills them as they jump on top of Fenrir, nuzzling his hand and pretending to fight him. Draco tenses next to me, his arm stiffening in my grip as I walk us into the action.

"So what's with all the hollering? You woke us up." I say, settling into one of the black velvet couches. "What have we missed?"

They smile, "Another attack is coming up. We failed last night, but this is a shoe-in."

Everyone shouts and raises a fist, completely sure this will be the plan to defeat Harry and the Order.

"Do tell," I start, but I'm quickly interrupted by Voldemort's booming voice.

He struts through the center of the room, his icy hand wrapping harshly around my forearm.

"Give me the girl!" He yells, the room parting as he is given a clear path to me.

I stare up at him through wide eyes, my mouth snarling as his nails dig into my skin. "My Lord?"

"We have to leave," He says quickly, his gaze darting around the room.

"Leave?" I question, turning to Draco and furrowing my brow.

He shrugs, his lips in a tense line across his face.

"Tonight," Voldemort booms, addressing the room as a whole and lifting my arm like I've won a boxing match. "Miss Grindelwald and I will begin our journey."

Everyone exchanges confused looks, quiet murmurs being passed through the group. I continue to stare at Draco, his mouth falling in fear and his shoulders at his ears.

"Journey, my Lord?" I ask, my arm still locked in his grip.

He smiles devilishly, "Draco has brought to us, a gift. Miss Grindelwald is a treasure and she will be a great asset in the day's to come."

I fake a smile, nerves rising in me as he continues, unsure of what is happening.

"In a few moments, we will take off and begin our search for the Elder Wand!"

Finally, cheering erupts, filling the small room with a deafening noise that makes my head bang.

We? Who is we? The Dark Lord and I? Just the two of us?

I look to Draco and to my surprise, he's joined in, his fist held high in the air. I follow his eye line to Lucius, a rare smile forming on his lips as he looks proud of his son.

Suddenly, a wave of uncertainty crashes over me like a tsunami. What will happen when all this is over? If we lose, it will be nearly impossible for Draco and I to make our way back into society, our image always tainted by the dark cloud of the Dark Lord.

But if we win.

If we win we'll have no problem finding our place, if anything, we'll be like royalty. Voldemort's right hand men, the sole reason he took and kept his power.

I don't know which is worse.

I look back to Draco with wide eyes, terror replacing the my emotions as is sets in that, whatever the Dark Lord plans for today were, Draco was not included.

He notices my expression as his gaze changes to confusion, he shakes his head and shrugs, wondering why I'm not acting as excited as they are.

He knew the wand belonged to him and any celebrating by Voldemort or the Death Eaters was null because when it came time, the power was his.

I didn't mind his facade, his family was finally retaining what little dignity they had left in the Dark Lord's eyes. So I grit my teeth and grimace wildly, hoping no one can notice the blood in my palm from squeezing my fists so tight.

Voldemort's voice interrupts my scene, "When we return, we will storm the castle and finish what we started!"

Another round of cheers erupts as he hoists our conjoined hands in the air once more. I'm about to wriggle out of his grip to bid farewell to Draco when I hear a loud crack, my ears ringing and my body contorting as we apparate out of the Malfoy's parlor.

We land on wet ground, still in my night clothes as the rain falls from above us, soaking my t-shirt. My bare feet struggle in the muddy grass beneath them as I place my hands in the dirt and stand.

When I gain my footing, I realize we're by a river bank, the sound of rushing water off to my left. Voldemort waits impatiently beside me, his cape flowing in the wind as he stares off into the distance.

"Let's go." He says, all traces of his former satisfaction with me, gone.

****