XVII

I follow slowly behind him, his body lit a light and glowing blue from the doe. He doesn't turn back to make sure I'm there, instead he treks through the trees convinced the patronus is going to lead to something.

"Are we past Hermione's concealment charm?" I ask, fear rising in me.

He doesn't answer, still transfixed as we round a corner, reaching a large pond that extends far beyond what I know Hermione enchanted. As soon as we step near the edge the water, the deer disappears into a puff of smoke, leaving Harry and I alone again.

"Lumos," Harry says, his wand illuminating our surroundings.

I stare at the icy lake dumbfounded, why where we here? The patronus lead us to a frozen body of water, for what?

I'm about to ask when Harry carefully places a foot on the sheet, small cracks emerging from the pressure.

I reach out and grab his arm, "Harry, are you insane!"

"Everett trust me," He shakes me off. "I've had to put my pride aside to trust you, now you do the same for me."

I nod with a small eye roll. As much as I hated to admit it, he was right. There was honestly no reason for him to let me tag along with them and yet, here I am.

He shifts back to the ice, my stomach churning with each step he takes. He makes it about halfway across when he stops suddenly, the light from his wand now moving toward his feet.

"What is it?!" I shout as he crouches down and furiously wipes the opaque ground.

From where I stand, I hear Harry say, "Accio sword."

I wait but nothing happens, the woods as silent as before. Against my better judgement I place my left foot on the pond. After a few terrifying creaks, I continue the pattern and make my way out to Harry.

I reach him and he stands, preparing for another charm. "Defindo!" He yells.

The ice in front of us breaks into a small circle, Harry stepping back and taking off his boots.

"What are you doing?" I question nervously as he kicks them to the side and unbuttons his shirt.

He shrugs like it's obvious, "I have to get it."

"Get what?" I ask, my frustrations rising.

He sighs, "The sword of Gryffindor."

I avert my eyes as he gets down to his underwear, turning to give him some privacy. "I have no idea what that is."

"I'll tell you after I get it," He says with a chuckle before jumping into the freezing water.

"Harry!" I shout in shock although he seems unfazed.

I drop to the ground and perch myself over the hole waiting for him to emerge. I know nothing about this 'sword of Gryffindor' nor do I know why it's important enough to jump into freezing water for.

He's down there for a few moments before I hear a shrill hum from under the water. Bubbles rise to the surface as I search the darkness for any signs of Harrys struggle.

Was this what the 'sword of Gryffindor' did? Did it make sounds like a screaming woman when touched? Was this supposed to be happening?

I stand and begin to pace, unsure if I should jump in to save him or if that will just cause more problems.

I've made up my mind when I hear a faint banging a few feet behind me. I whip around to see Harry's shadow under the ice, his fist punching to try and make an escape.