XII

I wake up in a cold sweat, again, rubbing the droplets off my forehead as I let out a yawn and rip the duvet off. Draco stirs but quickly falls back into sleep, his knees lifting up to his chest.

I shuffle quietly to the window, perching on the sill and staring out over the front of the Manor. There's a light flurry happening, my brain suddenly recalling how long I've been stuck in these four walls.

Months of worrying was eating away at my sleep schedule, my body not relaxing for more than 5 minutes at a time. I can't get my mind off Athena and my mother, the two of them appearing in my dreams during the rare occasion I can sleep.

What were they doing right now? How are they handling all of this? Are they safe?

I let out a sigh, my breath fanning in condensation on the wall as I draw a small heart and watch as it fades away.

I peak down at my fingers, an identical ring on each hand. I fumble around with the one on my left, the portkey straight to my mom.

I could leave, I could run away right now, travel to my mom and take us somewhere where no one would ever find us again.

But is that the life I want, being on the run for the rest of eternity? Looking over my shoulder at every corner to make sure no one was following me, and losing Draco in the process.

And then what was the point of all this suffering? If I left now, everything I've done with Draco before this will be nonexistent.

I would bet my life on the fact that Draco and I are the only ones working against the Dark Lord. And without me, I doubt Draco would have the guts to really go through with our plans.

I shake all the thoughts of my head, begging for a moment of silence in my mind. Luckily, I hear Draco breath deeply, patting the empty space next to him.

"What are you doing?" He asks groggily.

I shrug, "Just thinking..."

He chuckles, "You need to stop doing that so early in the morning."

I smile lightly, "What can I say, I'm a morning person."

He rolls his eyes half heartedly and lays on his other side, his back muscles defined in the early light. For a moment, everything feels normal and I sense myself relaxing, but as quickly as the feeling comes, it goes.

Draco's breath becomes even and heavy again as I stand up and grab my cardigan off one of his chairs. I wrap it around me and shuffle down stairs to the kitchen.

The house is quiet, an eerie stiffness to the air as I round the corridor. I'm startled by Narcissa, her light grey eyes peaking out from under her salt and pepper hair.

We both take in a deep breath, "Oh Everett dear, you scared the daylights out of me! What are you doing up so early?"

"I haven't been getting much sleep lately..." I shrug, composing myself.

She nods understandingly, "...Would you like some tea? I can make it 'plain' for you, the way you like."

I smile, "Sure, I would love some."

I wrap the knit closer around me and take a seat at one of the island chairs. We're both silent as she reaches for the familiar lavender chamomile and two ornate China cups and saucers.

Finally, a slow wail begins in the kettle, Narcissa quick to take it off the heat and pour it  into our mugs.

"Green or black?" She ask nonchalantly, showing me my options.

I tilt my head to the side, "I'm sorry?"

"Green cup or black cup, dear?" She says with a giggle.