Part 9

Sammy walked into the break room, glancing at Jack and Wally laughing, Norman awkwardly smiling in a non-understanding way, Shawn also laughing, and Grant glaring at Wally.
He averted his gaze from everyone, and sat down at a table. His fluttering stomach refused to let him feel like eating anything, so he just drank some coffee instead.
He was lost in thought, not noticing himself staring over at Norman. But of course as soon as Sammy caught himself, so did Norman.
He just smiled at the musician and continued talking with the other workers. Sammy felt a pang in his heart and bit his tongue, trying not to smile.
He couldn't deny that Norman's smile was very contagious. Just then, three toons and a annoyed looking Henry busted into the room.
Bendy had Henry's pencil and ran and hid behind Sammy's legs. Everyone stopped and watched. Boris and Alice were blocking Henry from trying to get it. "Ya have to take a break, it's lunch!" Bendy laughed from behind Sammy's legs.
Henry pursed his lips to keep from smiling at the little demon prankster. "Fine, but only if you
un-confiscate my pencil." He said.
"Only after." Bendy said. He peered over the side of Sammy's leg, grabbing onto his pants. "Do you mind?" Sammy grumbled. Bendy shared a look with Alice and Boris.
"Nah." Bendy replied with a smile. Sammy was honestly surprised. Nobody ever even wanted to talk to him, never mind hiding behind him.
Norman smiled at Sammy's surprised expression. "Fiiine." Henry groaned. He hated when Bendy manipulated him like this. But he knew the demon did it because he cared.
Sammy seemed relieved when Bendy ran back over to Henry. But then Boris sat down on the other side of the same table as him, peaking the other workers interest in what would happen.
Sammy didn't notice the others looking at him and Boris. "What do you want?" Sammy growled at him. Boris held out a pack of cards and tilted his head in question.
"Uh..." Sammy didn't know what to say, he'd never been asked to play cards before. "N-no?" He said, almost as if he was asking.
Boris whimpered, making his eyes larger. Sammy squinted at him and sighed. "That trick doesn't work on me, I'm not an animal person, or a people person, go play with literally anyone else here." Sammy decided to say.
Of course he was lying. He loved animals, dogs especially, but sheep were his favourite. But he couldn't let people know that.
Boris stayed put. Sammy stared into the wolf's eyes. Boris stared back like he could see through his soul, and knew that Sammy would break before long.
But the musician wasn't going to wait around for that to happen, so he stood and left for band practice.
Boris whined in disappointment. "Don't try to hard dear, he's not very friendly." Susie said, patting Boris on the head.
Sammy heard that as he left and angrily slammed the door. "Susie, don't say that, he's just misunderstood." Norman growled at her. "Meaning?" Wally asked. Norman huffed and dragged the janitor out into the hall. Jack tilted his head in confusion as he watched Wally getting dragged out.
"Look, you did see what you thought you saw, but you can't tell anyone okay? I just don't want to embarrass Sammy more than he already is, and I'm trying to get him to overcome his trust issues." Norman explained.
"Ooh, oki dok then, I won't tell anyone." Wally swore. "Thanks..." Norman looked at his watch. "Shit! I'm going to miss the band practice!" Norman raced down the hall.
Wally shrugged and turned back to go talk with Jack. Norman raced into the projector booth just in time to flick the projector on.
He caught his breath, then looked down at the band. They were all playing great, but Sammy looked lost in thought.
Then just as the projector turned off, their was a loud snap of a clarinets reed snapping. A poor girl had completely forgotten that she had to replace it over the weekend.
Everyone stared at her. She knew right then and their she would get fired. Sammy slowly looked over at her with no expression.
She looked absolutely terrified, her face had gone pale. Without saying a word, Sammy left, then came back with a new reed.
"Here, don't forget to replace it please." He muttered, handing her the reed and still looking lost in thought. Norman's eyes, along with everyone else's, widened in shock.
The girl shakily put the new reed in and couldn't believe her luck. Norman suddenly smiled widely to himself.
Was his kindness rubbing off? Or was it just confusing the musician. Yes, it looked as if Sammy was confused. Norman would definitely have to keep up what he was doing.
He knew he'd be able to make an impact on Sammy, it had only been two days and it was already starting to work.
The end of the day soon came and Norman hopped down the projector booth steps with a smile on his face.
He passed Sammy on his way to the front door to go home. "Have a good afternoon Sammy." He said, giving the musician that contagious grin again, then continuing on his way out.
Sammy stopped, and his brain was having trouble processing the fact that Norman was putting in so much effort just to be kind to Sammy at all times he was near him.
But why him of all people to be kind to? Didn't Norman want to avoid him like everyone else he'd ever met.
Sammy didn't blame others for avoiding him, he acted unapproachable on purpose. He didn't want to interact with anyone. But it seemed that Norman didn't care about that.
Sammy couldn't help but smile to himself as he went home that day, the first real smile he had in a long while.