Part 6

Norman picked up the projector and unscrewed the old broken light. After it was fixed, Henry placed the cartoon reel into it and the three of them watched it play.
Norman glanced at Sammy. He seemed so independent and lonely, maybe if Norman tried to be his friend, Sammy would open up more.
So that thought became a goal, and once Norman has a goal, he won't stop until he's completed that goal.
The reel stopped and Sammy left. "Oh, Norman the band has to practice a song today and here is the cartoon for it." Henry handed him a reel.
Norman nodded and went back up to the projectors booth. Half an hour later, the band walked in and took their seats.
Norman wondered who the director for them were. He knew that there was a lyricist, a musician, but who was the music director?
Sammy walked in. "Alright, you know the drill." Sammy called so all of them could hear him. Norman turned on he projector and the band started.
There was a piercing squawk as one of the clarinets's reeds snapped. "Who was that?!" Sammy yelled. Norman flicked off the projector.
A young man raised his hand slowly. "I needed to replace the reed." He said quietly. "Then you should've done that on the weekend! Don't I teach you guys anything about taking care of your instruments!" Sammy shouted.
The boy cowered in his chair. "Ugh, I'll get you a new one, but if any one ever forgets to take care of there instruments, you'll be fired." Sammy growled.
Norman thought he was being a bit harsh. They started again and went through the whole animation about five times, then it was lunch break. The band left and Sammy sighed.
Norman was cleaning off a projector in his booth, not realizing Sammy was still in the room. Then he heard a piano key and turned to look down.
Sammy was rated at the piano, his head laying on the side of it and resting his hand on the worn out keys.
He poked one of the keys again. He sighed. He sat up straight and glanced out into the hallway as Jack and Wally walked past, talking and laughing.
Sammy scrunched up his face and laid his head back down on the edge of the piano.
He let out a long sigh. Norman could tell something was bothering him, but didn't want to ask because he might get yelled at.
Sammy muttered something to himself as another group walked past the door, all of them happily chatting with their friends.
Sammy got up and closed the door, a sad look in his eyes. Norman realized that Sammy was in fact, lonely.
That's what was bothering him. Sammy sat back down at the piano and silently stared at the keys for a few minutes.
He finally lifted up his hands and played a song. He was testing a song he had wrote earlier to see if it sounded right.
Then the door flung open, Sammy jumped and instantly stopped playing music. It was Alice. Sammy hadn't really spoken much to her. Then again he hadn't really spoken much to anybody. "Hi Sammy." She said.
"Hello." Sammy said quietly. "Whatcha doing?" Alice asked. "Nothing, leave me alone." Sammy muttered. "But why?" Alice asked.
"Leave me alone." Sammy said. "Sammy, why don't you want to talk to anybody? You know at least someone will be your friend." Alice said.
"I don't want friends, I want to be left alone." Sammy growled. Norman watched with interest. "Aww, c'mon! I'll be your friend?" Alice offered. Sammy shook his head.
"Why not?" Alice asked. "It complicated, I'd rather just be alone for the rest of my life, well I guess my entire life." Sammy sighed.
Alice squinted at him, slowly nodding. "Okaaay, I guess I should go then-" she spotted Norman looking down at them.
When Sammy wasn't looking, she gestured for Norman to meet her outside of the music department.
Norman nodded, and he left down the stairs while Alice left through the door. The toon looked at him. "I need your help." She said.
"Sure, what for?" Norman asked. "I think I know what Sammy's problem is, but I'm not entirely sure." Alice said thoughtfully.
"What is it? I've been trying to figure out all day." Norman said. "He has trust issues, he must've had a really rough childhood. Every day he's getting lonelier and lonelier, until he'll eventually get depressed, which I think might be soon." Alice explained.
"So in other words, he needs someone he can trust?" Norman asked. Alice nodded. Norman looked at the door. "Well, we can try." He said.
He grabbed the handle and turned it, him and Alice going in to have a long talk with Sammy.