Prologue

A/n

This story will be set in 1861, hope you enjoy this book just as much as I will enjoy writing it. Onward with the book...

She charges at a Confederacy soldier and swiftly unarms him. Her village is burning. She takes down the soldier and looks over at the rest of her tribe fighting the soldiers. Her brown eyes lock with her father's eyes, as the chief of the Aztec tribe, drives the bayonet knife through a soldier's throat.

Present time...

Camila's POV

I get shoved down to my knees, my hands bound in chains, as one of the commander's men stands behind me. I look up and eye the country estate in front of me.

The doors open and an elegantly dressed woman walks over to us. "I was told you wanted to see me, Colonel?" She speaks.

"Yes, Miss Jauregui."

The woman looks down at me then back up at the Colonel. "And what have you brought me?" She asks.

"A savage. Killed several men in the Confederacy," He says.

"You attacked and burned down-"

"Shut up, barbarian!" The Colonel shouts.

"Stand her up," The woman says.

The Colonel stands me up with ease as I'm now staring into the eyes of the woman in front of me. Now that I'm taken her in, she's quite beautiful.

The woman brings a hand up and cups my chin ever so lightly as she examines me. "What tribe are you from?" She asks me.

"Aztec," I respond.

"Mexican?" She questions.

I nod, holding my head high, as I hold her gaze, "Yes."

The woman smiles and turns to the Colonel. "I will take her," She says.

"Perfect I will take-"

She dismisses her hand, "Yes, yes. I will send you the amount."

He nods and finally takes his leave as he enters his carriage.

The woman and I stay silent until the carriage has disappeared from our line of sight. She looks at me and clears her throat. "I will take you inside now," The woman says.

"I am not yours. I belong to the Aztec," I said.

She starts leading me to the house, my hands still bound up in chains. "Let us go inside then we will talk," She spoke.

I stay silent until I walk through the front door and further into the estate. We enter her study and she sits me down on a chair directly across from her at her desk.

She sits down in front of me and two maids come in and take the chains off. Once they have left, the woman leans on her desk. "You are no slave here," She says.

"What?" I ask confused. For killing Confederacy soldiers, they captured me and told me I was going to be sold like a slave.

"I bought you because anyone that Colonel brings to me is the most freedom a slave can get," She emphasizes the 'slave' part.

"So they are others?" I ask.

"Yes," She responds.

I lean back in my chair as I stare up at the ceiling. "Are you going to let me go?" I ask.

"In time. I wasted a fortune on you, but I am not gonna be cruel with you, I am not cruel with anyone who serves me. If you behave while you are here, then you can live well," She says.