50. Peaceful heaven

Julian

I never knew I would catch a sickness with the same cause and cure.

Althea.

The woman who tiptoed into my life.

Tiptoed. That's what I would say. She never did anything remotely close to catch my attention. Still, it seemed she was flying all around me like the dove she was.

I gripped the bed's edge to heave a sigh. The dream I saw wouldn't let me sleep again.

To shiver in ice-cold condition for an entire night wasn't something I had ever dreamt before.

The Sun was turning orange with the swiftly approaching evening. The nights were especially cold, even in this desert kingdom.

It had been four days since I was away from my palace.

Stretching my arms to get rid of the nap fatigue, I walked out of my room and down to the courtyard where a man was waiting with a wooden box. My grandmother and Thalia were eagerly looking into it, asking him about the pieces of jewellery without a stop.

I had dropped mother two days ago on the ship to Greece and stopped in my grandmother's house that was situated near the harbour. She wouldn't let me go, not before I'd spend a week with her.

"Greetings, your Honour," The man bowed, slight relief emerging on his face for finally getting rid of the ladies' constant questions.

"Hm, so you found the stone I had asked?" I scratched my jaw, looking into the box to see the intricate pieces of jewellery. He nodded with a huge smile and unlatched a separate section to take out the necklace I had ordered.

"Yes, your Honour. And I've woven them with pearls as you'd asked," he placed it carefully in my hand.

I traced the golden string meshed with one another to give an entwined look. My thumb stroked the sky blue gemstone that held the hanging pearls in the centre of the necklace.

"You found the exact stone I wanted. Excellent job," I smiled, "I'll pay you twice the amount."

His happiness knew no bounds. Still, he just bowed in respect, "It's an honour to hear that you liked it."

"I never knew you were buying jewellery for your wife!" Grandmother shrieked, quickly coming beside to take the necklace in her frail hand, her eyes wide.

I shook my head. That's how she loved to tease my unmarried self, always shoving my imaginary wife in conversations.

After the trader was gone, I settled in the iron swing built at the corner of the courtyard. The Sun was still warm as I closed my eyes, resting my head back to swing lightly.

C- Can my timings be changed from n- night to... sometime in the day?

I exhaled. I had scared her yet again.

The short walls of the courtyard made the sea visible, where low waves rose and fell, drifting ahead in the warm breezes. She would've loved to write about this harbour.

I didn't know what came on me that day. Aristotle was true when he said men dwelling on emotions led to disasters. And I had done that.

Now when I'd spent a day figuring what happened that night, I felt pathetic. Instead of hearing her out like a king, I ended up sounding like a damned heartbroken lover that I wasn't.

Dang it Julian, you really are a mess when you are emotional, I scoffed.

Unfolding my arms, I gripped the handrails. Second mistake was to turn my back on her. That was a coward move, and I wish I could undo it.
I should've given her space and asked softly, like I always did when she was anxious. Maybe at least I should've put an ear on her room's door to make sure she wasn't crying.