40. Purify me

Julian

She took a moment to stare at the lake, giving me a perfect look of her flushed face.

Althea Rosemary, that's what her face looked like.

Memories flew in like the afternoon breeze moving past us, reminding me of the time she was the closest to me, clung to my chest when Jakov had come abruptly.

Thinking all that, I had to ball my hands to fists to resist pulling her into the water with me.

Her back straightened, and slight relief crossed her, "The winters are nearing. Isn't the water... cold?" she asked, her gaze wavering but never meeting mine.

Oh, dear, don't you know it's Egypt, not Greece? Chuckling to myself, I stepped down to the lake's edge and dipped my hand. Walking back, I poured the warm water over her stretched palm.

She reddened further if that was possible, "A- And clothes?"

"We will have to change in the temple's quarters. It's not far from here," Saying, I didn't stand near her long and hike up a fallen branch. Clipping off the bronze crest, I removed my red over-cloth and hung it on the tree.

I sighed when she just stood there, fiddling nervously. Obviously, there wasn't a need to cleanse ourselves together. She was fretting for no reason.

"I'll go first," I informed, and walked over to lower myself into the waters. I only needed to take a dip, but the water so soothing with the afternoon sunlight hitting the forest ground made it difficult.

As the water came up my torso, my linen dress shirt stuck to me like a second skin. Holding the ends, I started lifting it over my head, only to stop.

Damn, that'll scare her.

I didn't want to frighten her again, given she's so easily intimidated; even when I had just pulled her out of that cave of a funeral ground.

Thinking back, I couldn't shake off the weird feeling that priest Remun Ra gave. When Althea had taken my permission, I'd thought she was going with the priest she was talking to.

I didn't realize she was leaving with that odd man, who looked anything but a priest. The fact that she was alone with him in that cave had boiled my blood to rage.

Lucky for him, he behaved. Otherwise, I was close to dragging him to the palace. I'll have to do a background check on him.

"What did you write about?" I asked, to see her gaze wandering along the lake's edge.

"Nothing much," she shrugged, "They said... I won't be able to handle the stench in the funeral room, so... I hadn't gone further."

Sometimes I felt as if she was making up things. But I let the thought slide by.

With a little pout, she assessed everything around her. Most probably disappointed that the forests won't give anything to write about.

Wearing a delicate pink robe with her braided hair placed on one side of her shoulder, it was my insanity that thought she looked like Aphrodite. A wreath of ivy around her head was all she needed to complete that look.

And I dare never compared any woman to that goddess of beauty, but this one had messed my head.

How can she be so blissfully unaware of the effect she has on some people?

I need to clear my head and pray. Pray that Aphrodite doesn't punish me for thinking such grave things against her.

Sucking in a breath, I plunged into the water. More calm engulfed me as the water cooled my senses. I didn't know what I was doing.