52. Tactics

Althea

I was ever ready to sweat in the summers than to shiver in the cold.

Yes, I hated winters that much.

But I was glad it had been months since the wretched weather was over, once again replaced by the warm Spring Sun.

And it also had been months since I was scheming how to get dad in here.

Where are you, dad? Your baby snail needs you.

Remembering the odd little nickname he gave made me break into a smile. A sad one. As much as I wanted to stay here longer, I really didn't wish to see him resemble a grandfather when I reach home.

Smell of exotic flowers wafted through the air as the servants continued to clean every speck of dust from the hallways; given, the palace of Romanos was chosen as the wedding destination for Jakov and Helaine. Numerous guests from the ally kingdoms were already thronging the eating arena organised in an open field behind the palace.

I stopped in the hallway to rest my arms against the handrail, careful not to touch the flower decorations.

Dad lost mom because she was devoted to knowledge, to seek more. Just like me. Just like I didn't care what the circumstances would be and take a direct plunge into it.

She wanted to know what laid below those narrow, untraceable paths in the Egyptian deserts... just like I wanted to know the untraceable path in history that was Julian...

Cupping my face in my hands, I stared at the clear blue sky. Buzzing of talkative guests faint in the atmosphere. I wanted and also didn't want to be like my mother. I was truly crazy.

Gratefully, dad was doing the one thing I had pestered him countless times, before my transportation into this century.

To send me messages through the department. Into my AI book.

That way I never felt he wasn't with me. He and his jokes. But what saddened me was, I couldn't message back. We applied every nook and cranny of our knowledge to do but in vain.

A savage roar resonated in the air, making my heart jump to my throat. Startled, I peered down into the concubine's garden.

There was no one except the bride-to-be. Looking gorgeous in the myrtle wreaths that adorned her head, arms, wrists and neck. I watched on, mouth agape as she caressed the head of a lioness that peacefully had her massive head rested on her lap.

Beside her sat a lion yawning lazily, his razor-sharp teeth on display. The thick black mane around his face made him look all the more lethal. And then it occurred to me.

Helaine's two cubs Lola and Juno had grown up.

And it seemed they were here to attend her wedding.

Hello Dean Schneider. There, I found your ancestor, I chuckled, gazing on in amusement. Helaine was one hell of a woman of this century. It was good that Cheryl had written enough information about her.

Since Jakov and Helaine were Macedonians, they were marrying according to the ancient Greek tradition. The celebrations would go on for three days with today being the first day called Proaulia which was a pre-wedding ceremony.

I took in a sharp breath when the king entered the garden, his arms crossed as he spoke something to her. I couldn't stop breaking into a laugh when she stuck out her tongue in return.

Waving a hand, he simply walked over to the lion and sat cross-legged beside him.

And then he started moving his fingers in the lion's thick mane, causing the beast to lean into his lap like an obedient dog. Soon lion Juno was growling lowly as he enjoyed the king's caress over his head.