ii

chapter two
DANBURY BALL

THE LOVING HOME OF THE LORD AND LADY DUBOIS was frequently a lively place

THE LOVING HOME OF THE LORD AND LADY DUBOIS was frequently a lively place. Often, the maids shuffled quickly down the halls, toting laundry and hurrying to complete trivial tasks for the Lord and Lady. The cooks were often busy in the kitchen, preparing lavish meals and sweet treats for the children. However, the morning of the Danbury ball, everyone in DuBois's house, even Lord DuBois himself, seemed to be in an absolute frenzy.

Juliette Villeneuve hardly slept the night. It was not because her bed was uncomfortable nor was it due to excitement dwelling in her bones for the ball that evening. Juliette hardly slept simply because every time she drifted off, her dreams would be plagued by the Bridgerton boy. Old memories and formerly yearned fantasies tormented her throughout the night.

She was haunted by the thought of Anthony Bridgerton.

That morning, as family sat and ate breakfast, Juliette ignored the lingering sentiments from her dreams.

Each member of the family was intoxicated with some sort of noticeable emotion, all caused by the nearing Danbury ball that evening. Well, except for Edward who simply could not be bothered with the trivialities of a ball. Unlike her brother, sweet Édith spoke dreamily of Juliette's debut, "Dear cousin, you will be blessed with the most perfect suitor! I surely cannot wait for my own debut in many years."

Édith's pure and unfaltering excitement was not mistaken or easily ignored.

"Regrettably, not long enough," Lord DuBois huffed at the thought of his own daughter's debut into society. The thought of his dear niece in search of a suitor was difficult enough to swallow, but he refused to accept the same of his daughter in a few years. "Let us train our energies on our current debutant, shall we."

Lady DuBois, much like her daughter, was smitten with the possibility of a love match. Unlike her husband, she couldn't be more delighted for her niece, as well as Édith's future in society. She spoke with conviction, "I assure you, Juliette, we will not allow any suitor but the most handsome and kind to court you. Isn't that true, my dear husband?"

Lord DuBois, who was too focused on his meal and the emotional turmoil of letting go of his sweet niece, neglected to respond.

With narrowed eyes, Lady DuBois' following words sliced through the dining room, drawing her husband's attention. "Correct, my Lord?"

"Yes," he grunted. Clearing his throat, he repeated clearly, although strained, "Yes."

"Very well," the dark-haired lady sent Juliette a lovely smile. "You will be well taken care of, my dear."

Despite her aunt and uncle's reassuring words, her heart was full of unwavering caution. Juliette understood her aunt and uncle would not take the matter of her marriage lightly, they truly wanted the best for their dearest niece. However, how are they to know what a certain suitor may act behind closed doors and sealed draperies? Many potential negative outcomes can stem from a loveless marriage. Juliette had held off the expectation of marriage for a few years, certainly far longer than her father desired. Now, he was forcing her hand.