xxiv

chapter twenty-four
LOVE ME FOREVER

THE FOLLOWING MORNING, JULIETTE'S READING WAS INTERRUPTED BY AN INSISTENT KNOCKING AT HER DOOR

THE FOLLOWING MORNING, JULIETTE'S READING WAS INTERRUPTED BY AN INSISTENT KNOCKING AT HER DOOR. Well, to say she was reading was a large stretch. Juliette was attempting to read, but she often drifted off into her thoughts as she replayed yesterday's afternoon with Anthony. The more she reminisced, the larger the smile on her face grew. She was never going to finish the last chapter of that book.

More so, from writing that letter for her father last night and allowing the flames to devour it, a weight seemed to have been lifted from her chest. She did not forgive her father and she never will. But, Juliette believed she was finally released from his grasp. She could finally live without the hurt he caused her to seep into every thought. Juliette was happy. So undeniably happy and her issues with her father couldn't be further from thought.

Before Juliette could tell the person to come in, the door was pushed open and none other than Édith ran into the room. Juliette flicked her attention from the page to her cousin. The skirt of her blue dress billowed at the ankles and black curls bounced around Édith's shoulders due to the brisk movement. An enthusiastic glint flashed in her hazel eyes.

"Yes, Édith?" She spoke from behind her novel.

"Anthony is in father's study!" Édith exclaimed, throwing herself on the chaise next to Juliette with an oomph. "The door is locked, but I overheard, although muffled, what they were speaking of!"

Oh?

Juliette had a feeling she knew what the conversation was in regards to.

"It's rather impolite to eavesdrop," Juliette noted dryly, although she wasn't attempting to scold Édith in any way. Using her finger as a bookmark, she closed the novel and rested it on her lap.

Édith's jaw fell slack, surprised about her cousin's indifferent stance on the news. She assumed Juliette would be much more, well, ecstatic at the information.

It wasn't that Juliette wasn't ecstatic at the information (she very much was ecstatic!), she was simply having a great time annoying her younger cousin. Juliette was in pure bliss. The last few days, yesterday especially, have treated Juliette with nothing but kindness. She assumed the immense joy she was experiencing was the origin of her impish mood. Édith, unfortunately, was the one who had to deal with it at the current moment.

"Would you like to know what they were discussing or not?" Édith deadpanned. When Juliette failed to answer, Édith released a loud huff. She continued coldly, "I can bring my business elsewhere."

Juliette snorted, attempting to conceal her growing grin. "To whom?"

"Hyacinth or- or perhaps Lady Whistledown!" The young girl stumbled over her words, she wasn't expecting Juliette to question her.