iv

chapter four
GODLY ICHOR

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S WORDS WERE SCRAWLED IN GODLY ICHOR, oozing through Grosvenor Square in an uncontainable fashion, like wildfire

LADY WHISTLEDOWN'S WORDS WERE SCRAWLED IN GODLY ICHOR, oozing through Grosvenor Square in an uncontainable fashion, like wildfire. The blood of the Gods was a rarity, seldom seen by mortals. Only a wielder of power possessed the strength to maim a god, to draw godly ichor from the skin of stone. Lady Whistledown's sharp words nicked the Gods of Grosvenor Square with their scandals. The esteemed scandal sheet of poisonous truth either was the messenger of a bystander's entertainment or a participant's downfall. One thing for certain, the anonymous Lady Whistledown knew all and slew the most dominant of Gods with her sharpened tongue.

"Mother! Juliette! Mother! Juliette!" The gentle voice of Édith called throughout the DuBois house. Soft and swift footsteps could be heard over Edward's delicate piano piece, as the young girl rushed towards the drawing room where Lady DuBois and Juliette were speaking. Édith stopped at a sudden halt as she entered the room. Her breathing was heavy as she strived to regain her breath. Through gasps of air, she exclaimed, "The scandal sheet has arrived."

Juliette's heart quickened at the announcement. She sprang from her seat and approached the dark-haired girl. Gracefully, Juliette plucked the paper from Édith's outstretched hand. An unyielding storm of anxiety began to stir inside. Tentatively, ridden with unknowing feelings, Juliette read the scandal sheet aloud, "This author is left to wonder whether Her Majesty might reconsider the high praise she once afforded Miss Bridgerton, for we all must know what the Queen despises more than anything, being wrong."

Releasing a nervous breath, Juliette briefly eyed Édith and Lady DuBois who were listening intently. The green eyes of her aunt were wide from the words Juliette spoke. She continued, her voice echoing in the air stricken with a thick silence, "And the drawing room at the Bridgerton house currently appears to be emptier than the muddled head of her dearest King George—"

"Oh my!" Édith gasped softly, interrupting Juliette. "Please do continue, dear cousin."

"—It follows that Lady Featherington is to receive what she always desired: the season's true incomparable living under her own roof," Juliette read, disbelief heavy on her tongue. "She must be overjoyed."

Lady DuBois' composure remained an unchanging elegance, however, Juliette recognized the shock swirling within her eyes. She said steadily, "Well, that is certainly unexpected."

"Well, there must be more!" Édith stated, intoxicated on the dramatics of defamation.

Juliette eyed the following paragraph, the intricate string of words stopped her heart at once. Her lips parted slightly, as a low gasp escaped. Nausea overwhelmed her stomach. Juliette's grace faltered as she sputtered, "I cannot find the strength to read this, please, dear aunt?"

She hurriedly handed the scandal sheet of Lady Whistledown's venomous words to Lady DuBois. Unease flickered across her aunt's face briefly as she seized the scandal sheet.