xxiii

chapter twenty-three
MAY I?

THE SUN HUNG HIGH IN THE CLOUDLESS SKY, a beautiful afternoon for a social event outdoors

THE SUN HUNG HIGH IN THE CLOUDLESS SKY, a beautiful afternoon for a social event outdoors. The warmth of the sun caressed Juliette's exposed skin, causing a joyous sensation to wash over her. The scent of roses wafted heavily in the air, and the hedge leaves rustled in the light wind. Juliette was absolutely yellow with happiness.

A sudden intense downpour could occur, and her pleasant mood wouldn't be the slightest bit fazed. Recently, Juliette found herself grinning throughout her daily affairs. Édith and Edward commented on the fact regularly, often questioning why she was so joyous whilst completing tedious tasks. Lady and Lord DuBois, on the other hand, would share knowing glances — for they had experienced the giddiness themselves. In fact, Lord DuBois was the one who noticed Juliette's continuous upbeat attitude first and pointed it out to his loving wife in secret. He couldn't be more delighted for his niece.

Juliette, who was conversing with Édith moments before, found herself roaming the outdoor area alone. Her dear cousin spotted Hyacinth and Gregory running around, and ran away mid-conversation to play alongside them.

A light breeze swept through the afternoon, rippling the skirt of Juliette's lavender dress as she strolled about. The warmth of the sun counteracted the chill of the breeze, making the wind much more welcoming to the touch. The ruby necklace she wore around her neck glinted underneath the sunlight.

She eyed the attendees of the social event. Quickly, she found her uncle chatting with an unfamiliar gentleman and a little ways away, her aunt softly laughed with Lady Bridgerton. It wasn't long before she spotted Anthony in the crowd. The tall man stood at the other end of the clearing, discussing with his younger brother, Benedict. Not wishing to interrupt their discussion, even though she was eager to spend time with Anthony, Juliette headed towards her aunt and Lady Bridgerton.

However, Juliette took a mere three steps before she came face-to-face with Lady Blackwood, Reginald's younger sister. Strands of her chestnut hair had fallen from her intricate updo, framing her petite face, and in the intense sunlight, flecks of green shimmered in her brown irises. Her thick brows raised as an elated expression overcame her features.

"Lady Blackwood," Juliette greeted with a small nod. "It's so lovely to see you again."

"Oh, please, call me Amelia," she insisted, a small smile toying at the corner of her lips. "Please do tell, Juliette, are you finding this event drab as well?"

She laughed. "Yes, in fact, I am. I am thankful for the beautiful weather though."

"Hopefully the weather holds, I would very much like to spend the rest of the afternoon writing outside," Amelia explained.

Juliette raised a brow. "You're an author?"

Amelia shrugged, the fabric of her pink frock shimmered in the sunlight as she did so. "To be quite honest, I'm not sure, I merely have too many thoughts needing release." She paused for a brief moment, taking a sip of her lemonade. She continued with a soft chuckle, "Oh, never mind me, what about you, Juliette? What do you hope to accomplish after this is finished?"