xi

chapter eleven
A MOTHER'S LOVE

A SCANDAL SO CRUEL CAME TO LIGHT

A SCANDAL SO CRUEL CAME TO LIGHT. A ceaseless blaze of fury was cast across the occupants of Grosvenor Square. The wildfire spread without mercy. The blaze seared the all-knowing words of Lady Whistledown to the forefront of every thought. In consequence, to the topic of every conversation. By noon, the ton will have been burnt by wildfire. The scandal was so cruel in nature, yet, so welcomed to the ears. A man's harrowing actions, judged and condemned by High Society. The bumbling Lord Berbrooke? His scandal came to light.

What of his soon to be union to Daphne Bridgerton, the diamond of the season? Well, in gratitude to the words spread by Lady Whistledown as of late, the heinous marriage was no longer a problem. It was no longer a necessity. Not only was that a relief for Daphne, but Juliette felt immense joy for her friend.

Daphne Bridgerton may not suffer the condemnation of a loveless marriage after all.

The DuBois family, as well as Juliette, sat at the table enjoying a savoury breakfast. Bright beams of the morning sunlight seeped through the large windows of the dining room. The light danced against the pale blue walls and reflected in the crystal chandelier above their heads. Captivating rainbows glinted in the crystals, showcasing its beauty under the light.

"Have you heard?" Édith asked, perching a brow as she eyed her family around the table. "Of the scandal surrounding Lord Berbrooke as of late?"

Edward swallowed his bite with haste. "Who is this Lord Berbrooke we speak of? Is he the gentleman courting Juliette?"

At Edward's suggestion, an inelegant snort fell from Juliette's nose whilst Édith gagged on her eggs. Édith coughed, clearing her throat. Lady DuBois shook her head, an amused smile yearning to show on her lips.

Édith parted her lips. Before she could mutter a witty response to Edward's obliviousness, an unexpected voice arose. Juliette's eyes widened.

"That would be Lord Blackwood, son," Lord DuBois informed in a dull tone, not once looking over his newspaper. "Lord Berbrooke was courting Daphne — he's a foolish and unpleasant man. I would never allow someone of half that nature court our dearest Juliette."

Lord DuBois, her uncle, was not one for the trivial nature of gossip. Hence, Juliette found amusement in his blatant words.

"It is suggested that the toad was seen leaving the ton," Édith stated, seated across from Juliette at the table. A mischievous glint appeared in her eyes as a sly smirk twitched on her lips.

Juliette raised her brows in shock as well as intrigue.

"Édith, enough!" Lady DuBois scolded, dropping her cutlery to her plate with a loud clatter. "Where did you hear of these tales? Are you reading Lady Whistledown?"

"No, mama! I would never," Édith feigned shock and disgust at her mother's suggestion. The innocent lie slipped from her tongue. When Lady DuBois focused elsewhere, Édith sent Juliette a playful wink. "I would never subject my eyes and mind to such poison!"