iii

chapter three
THE CALLERS

THE DRAWING ROOM OF THE DUBOIS HOUSE was garnished with crystal chandeliers, reflecting the morning sun that seeped through the large windows

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

THE DRAWING ROOM OF THE DUBOIS HOUSE was garnished with crystal chandeliers, reflecting the morning sun that seeped through the large windows. Specks of light danced upon the grand familial portraits decorating the blue and white floral wallpaper. Antique vases and bundles of flowers were sprawled around the room, showcasing their beauty. In the corner, sat Édith and Edward who angelically played several delicate pieces on the white piano. The enchanting and peaceful tunes were the paradoxical soundtrack of the frantic events at hand.

Since dawn, the house cooks have been busy preparing for, what Lady DuBois assured, the copious amount of callers to arrive. Round wooden tables donned elegant lace cloths, bearing hoards of pastries and savoury goods.

Juliette couldn't believe her very eyes at what the cooks served. Certainly, the vast amount of biscuits prepared were not needed. She expected callers to arrive in wake of the Danbury Ball's success, however, she was not the sole debutant. Many others shall welcome callers as well.

Lady DuBois sat next to Juliette as they waited for the first callers to arrive. They both wore elegant dresses. The necklace of dainty rubies on Juliette's neck mimicked the colour of her frock. Her late mother gifted her the necklace many years before. The weight of it against her chest provided a sense of comfort and eased the anxiousness blooming.

She found herself dwelling on the events of Lady Danbury's ball the prior evening. After the incident with Lord Ainsworth and Lord Bridgerton, Juliette conversed with a few more suitors before leaving. One suitor, in particular, Lord Blackwood, truly captured her attention. His dark curls elegantly sat against the tan skin of his neck and were quite unruly in spots. The greys of his eyes exuded kindness and as they danced, Juliette found herself lost in the stormy clouds.

Oh, how she craved his arrival as a caller. Her heart fluttered at the thought.

The clear of a throat tore Juliette from her thoughts. The man announced, "Callers, for a Miss Villeneuve. Lord Huckabee, the Earl of Kent, and Lord Northcott."

The doorman's announcement caused excitement as well as dread to surge through Juliette. Of course, she was thrilled to have callers. However, she remembered being plagued with a tedious conversation with Lord Northcott the night before. The thought of listening about his great aunt's supposedly magical goat for another minute may be the cause of Juliette's untimely demise.

Juliette's eyes widened in shock at the gaudy suit Lord Huckabee donned. She withheld an inelegant snort at the sight. Lord Huckabee was an older fellow, perhaps in his early fifties or sixties. He wore a truly heinous orangish suit. The orange colour didn't fare well with his naturally reddened face and balding head.

Lady DuBois gracefully rose and proceeded to the chaise next to her husband as the three callers approached Juliette. Lord Northcott swiftly settled in the spot next to Juliette. Before the Lord could utter a sound and bore Juliette with anecdotes of the magical goat, she hastily said, "Earl of Kent, please do tell about your most fascinating childhood."

DEAR JULIETTE ▹ Anthony Bridgertonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें