xiii

chapter 13
THE ARRIVAL

GROSVENOR SQUARE WAS IN A HUSHED FRENZY

GROSVENOR SQUARE WAS IN A HUSHED FRENZY. Lady Whistledown's newest scandal sheet was a hot topic amongst the ladies and gentlemen of high society. The words of the anonymous scribbler spread like a contagious plague. It seeped off tongues with ease and was heard by all ears. It wouldn't take long for the entirety of high society to know of Lady Whistledown's gossip. Strings of words woven with an intricacy that often struck to kill. No mercy. The air that afternoon was not thick with the shocking nature associated with a scandal. But, of hushed excitement and intrigue.

Juliette sat alongside her cousin, Édith, on the wooden porch swing. She watched the bustling nature of Grosvenor Square whilst Édith read the newest scandal sheet in silence. Juliette avoided meeting her gaze with the Bridgerton house. Although a striking beauty with its iron-wrought gates and thick shrouds of wisteria, the events of the other day at tea plagued her. The turmoil that had settled in her heart, as well as her brain, pained her. Her attempt of repressing the feelings was futile.

"Three!" Édith shrieked in horror with wide eyes. She dropped the scandal sheet to her lap and focused her attention on Juliette. "Daphne Bridgerton has rejected three proposals!"

Juliette gasped. "Three?"

"All from this week alone!"

Juliette has yet to receive an inkling of a proposal, let alone a physical one. As the season continues, it appears as if Juliette's only hope for a proposal lands in the hands of Lord Blackwood. No other suitor has taken note of the girl since Lady Whistledown's scathing words some time ago. Being labelled an 'ineligible crone' does not fare well in the game of love. It seems as if Juliette had vanished from the mind and the eyes of all other suitors. But, that mere fact did not bother Juliette all that much. For she believed Lord Blackwood was a man she could learn to love. She cannot deny the flutter in her chest nor the giddy smile that arises in his presence. Juliette liked the man, and she can learn to love him as well. However, who is to say he will propose anyway?

"Well, Daphne is the diamond of the season after all," Juliette mused.

"But, you would think the girl would accept at least one of them," Édith argued.

Juliette shook her head at her cousin's innocence. "Édith, why would Daphne accept the proposal of a man she wishes not to marry?"

"Desperation?"

An inelegant snort fell from Juliette's nose as she stifled a laugh. Her fingers flew to her face, attempting to conceal the action. Juliette eyed her cousin to see an amused expression bestowing her features. Once she calmed down, Juliette exclaimed, "The Duke! The Duke of Hastings is Daphne's love match, we all see it. Why should she accept any proposal when she's awaiting the one that matters most?"

"Well," Édith pondered for a moment. "I do admit he's a bit slow at it? If he truly fancies her, then why is he taking so long?"

"He's a man," Juliette stated, her words blunt. She toyed with the skirt of her dress. "One cannot assume what goes on in that brain of theirs."