xxxi

chapter thirty-one
WHEN MIDNIGHT COMES — PART II

chapter thirty-oneWHEN MIDNIGHT COMES — PART II

ANTHONY'S POINT OF VIEW
[content warning: sex]

THAT EVENING AS THE SUN DIPPED IN THE SKY, Juliette and Anthony could be found in Anthony's bedroom at Aubrey Hall. The pair had arrived at the Bridgerton's ancestral home a mere hour before and opted to postpone eating dinner entirely. After a set of brief and polite greetings with the house staff, Anthony grabbed Juliette's hand and led her up the stairs. Juliette had visited Aubrey Hall a few times over the years, so he found no reason to give her a vigorous tour of the house. A tour of any sort can wait until the following day.

At the moment, all Anthony wanted now was time spent alone with his wife and Viscountess — his dearest Juliette. As he led her down the corridor, in which sunlight seeped through the windows and cast an orangish hue dancing on the walls, he was, simply put, over the moon. A series of soft giggles echoed in the halls as they escaped Juliette's lips, causing warmth to spread across his chest and caress his heart.

When they reached the wooden door of his bedroom, Anthony ushered Juliette inside. With a thud of the door meeting the frame, he shut the door behind them. Juliette released his hand and headed towards the window. Her hands rested against the window sill and her gaze was fixed on the gardens outside. The light of the setting sun caressed her features, painting her fair skin with hues of golden yellow and fiery orange. The glow of the sun accentuated her beauty, bringing attention to the features that often went unnoticed by all of society — but never Anthony.

There was not one aspect of her beauty that he ever overlooked.

Over the years he has studied and memorized even the most minuscule of details of her face. On her right cheek, an inch below the outer corner of her eye was a thin scar that she received as an infant. The scar blended into her complexion in most light, leaving it invisible to the naked eye. However, when direct light brushed her right cheek, the scar, no longer than an inch, shined silver. Few people were blessed enough to know of its existence. For if they could see the small scar, then they could witness the hues of green that were hidden in her deep brown irises. Even fewer people knew of the hidden beauty of her eyes. Anthony did not need to be facing her to know that the light of the setting sun caressing her soft skin would highlight her hidden beauty.

Anthony discarded his coat on the chair beside the door. He stepped behind her and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her back against his torso. At the sudden touch, he felt Juliette sharply inhale and jump a little bit out of surprise before melting into his chest. Her breathing evened, and even though he didn't have a frontal view of her face, he knew a petite smile tugged at her lips. His fingers aimlessly trailed on the smooth fabric of her wedding gown. As much as he adored her in the gown, he was eager to remove her from it.

"Your mother's garden never ceases to astonish me," she mused in a breathy tone, still fixated on the garden below. She rested her hands on top of his on her stomach. "A hidden attraction of the world."