xiv

chapter 14
GAME OF LOVE

A CERTAIN EXCITEMENT CIRCULATED THE DUBOIS HOUSE

A CERTAIN EXCITEMENT CIRCULATED THE DUBOIS HOUSE. The atmosphere of the beautiful home was shrouded under a thick blanket of awe. That morning, Lady Dubois hummed a cheery melodious tune as she mosied the house. Lord Dubois, who often strayed from such topics, made note of how taken Prince Friedrich seemed to be with Juliette. The lord was quite thrilled and, quite frankly, obsessed with the current turn of events. Edward, who couldn't be bothered with trivial things, such as balls, simply could not stop his bombardment of questions.

Édith was the worst of them all.

At breakfast when learning of last night's events, Édith released a loud screech of excitement. Juliette not only danced with the prince but chatted with him for a near hour. In a boisterous manner, Édith yelled without ceasing, "I was right! I was right! I told you so! Did I not tell you so? I was right and you were wrong! Listen to me forevermore, for I was right!"

Édith was right in her assumptions.

After the excitement of last evening's ball and that morning's breakfast, Juliette settled herself on a chaise in her bedroom. As she sat in comfort, a light feeling blossomed in her chest and a soft smile pulled at her lips. In her nimble fingers, she held a book. She read in silence, at peace. She finally gained a moment to distance herself from the chaotic nature of reality. Juliette became lost in a world of fiction.

That is until she was found once again.

"Juliette!" Édith shouted from the bottom of the stairs. Her voice pierced through the pale walls of Juliette's bedroom. "You must come downstairs!" When Juliette did not appear within a few seconds, Édith yelled again, "Are you a sloth? Make haste, cousin!"

It didn't take long for Juliette to set her book aside with a sigh. Moments later, Juliette descended the steps, looking down at an overjoyed Édith. As much as she loved her cousin, she wished for a few more moments of peace. Since her arrival some time ago, Juliette hardly had time for a quick breath of air.

"Yes, Édith?" Juliette questioned.

"You have received flowers."

Juliette stepped foot into the Dubois drawing-room. She was immediately met with red, white and pink. Sprawled around the large room were several large bouquets — roses. In the corner sat a smaller bouquet of carnations. The bright colours were a contrast to the light blue floral wallpaper.

"Who sent—"

The words hardly surpassed her lips before being interrupted with haste.

"The prince!" Edward exclaimed from his spot at the piano. In a much more calm tone, he mumbled, "Oh and I suppose you received a bouquet from Lord Blackwood as well."

Prince Friedrich sent her flowers?

A warmth spread within the confines of her chest.

She stepped towards a bouquet, enamoured by its immense beauty. With a delicate touch, she brushed the soft petals with her thumb. A small smile tugged at her lips. The prince sent her flowers. Several bouquets of roses. A large white rose caught her eye, she reached over and plucked it from the bundle. As she did so, the fragile skin of her thumb was met with a sharp pain — she was pricked by one of its thorns. A dangerous beauty.