epilogue

epilogue
TEN YEARS LATER

JULIETTE ALWAYS DREAMT OF WHAT HER FUTURE MAY HOLD

JULIETTE ALWAYS DREAMT OF WHAT HER FUTURE MAY HOLD. There were times she was fearful of the coming years and there were times in which she was giddy with anticipation. The latter was far more common. However, in all of her dreams and hours spent ruminating, Juliette never assumed her future would hold such promise, such happiness, such love. In every manner possible, her life was perfect beyond her sweetest dreams. Even when she and Anthony were caught in a rare spell of anger and shouts tore through their throats, cascading down the halls and echoing in the enclosed space, she wouldn't wish for anything else. For, Anthony was everything and more she wished for in a husband, a lover and a best friend. With the man she loved with the entirety of her heart, she was blessed with five beautiful and healthy children — Sylvie, Edmund, Silas, Arabella, and Florence.

Their family had taken permanent residence at Aubrey Hall year-round when Juliette found out she was with child, the second time, with what would be their son, Edmund. For the last eight years, they only visited London during the social season and a couple of odd times throughout the other months. There was no other place Juliette would rather raise her children than the country manor. From the beautiful garden and the large lake bordering the edge of the property to the library filled to the brim with books and the winding halls lined with family portraits. Aubrey Hall was rooted in deep history, happy history. Every square foot of the house and the surrounding property was rich in memories, of not only Anthony's childhood but also of the family they have created. Their days were spent by exchanging glances of endearment and amused smiles fuelled by their children's behaviour.

When Juliette found out she was with child, the first time, it was a couple of months after their wedding. She had never seen Anthony as happy as when he learnt the news. When Juliette was pregnant with their third child, Silas, Anthony knew before she put the pieces together herself. One morning when she stepped foot into his study, he knew she was with child from the way the sun seeping through the open windows kissed her skin so delicately as if she were an angel sent from above. She aired so heavenly in the sun's glow, a pure and innocent blessing. Juliette did not believe Anthony's claims at first. Yet, when her courses did not arrive the following week, nor the week after, she began to accept his premonition.

Juliette never knew what the future may have held, but she was pleased with what had been served to her.

Even when she was pregnant with her fourth child, Arabella, and was victim to ceaseless spells of illness for nine months, fearing her final days may be approaching, Juliette would not wish for anything else. Even though Anthony never dared to voice his fear, Juliette saw in his eyes and his refusal of leaving her side for even the briefest of moments that he expected the worst.

That December evening when Juliette went into labour, a threatening snowstorm raged outside and frost sheeted the windows of Aubrey Hall. Not even the grandest fire with dark clouds of smoke billowing out of the chimney could provide her with a sliver of warmth. The birthing of her three children before hadn't consumed so much of her energy, hadn't left her so weak and vulnerable. Yet, when the sounds of their newborn's cries drowned out the storm outside and found its way into their ears, a petite smile found its way onto Juliette's lips. When their daughter, their precious Arabella, was placed on her chest and caused warmth to overcome her, Juliette knew everything would be fine — no, perfect. She may have almost lost her life that night, but she would not have changed a thing.