xv

chapter fifteen
A LETTER FROM FATHER

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN MILLED AROUND GROSVENOR SQUARE

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN MILLED AROUND GROSVENOR SQUARE. They chatted with one another about the recent events at Somerset House a few days prior. A popular topic of conversation was that of Miss Juliette Villeneuve and Prince Friedrich. It seemed as if the young lady ascended from the ashes of ineligibility and caught the interest of a prince. The morning after the event at Somerset House, the DuBois drawing-room was filled to the brim with callers. Suitors yearned to catch a glimpse at the young woman worthy of the prince's attention. The drawing-room with floral wallpaper and a piano had been empty since Lady Whistledown's words of condemnation. But, it seemed as if a man with the title of 'prince' was all she needed to redeem herself — one of society's more negative attributes.

As Juliette stood before the Bridgerton house, she felt the eyes of the ton searing a hole through her back. The ladies and gentlemen of Grosvenor Square whispered her name and stared at the girl who was once nothing. They were in shock. They wondered how she became worthy enough to catch a prince when few suitors had taken an interest. She ignored the hushed whispers carried by the wind and the burning sensation on her back.

Juliette's fist hit the wooden door of the Bridgerton house with a curt knock.

Humboldt, the footman, opened the door and led Juliette into the home.

"Thank you, Humboldt," Juliette smiled in gratitude.

"Of course, Miss Villeneuve." Humboldt nodded, returning the smile before walking away.

Juliette stood in the entrance hall of the Bridgerton house.

Since her arrival some time ago, this was the second time in which Juliette set foot in the Bridgerton House. Although the architecture was graceful, a graveyard of memories hid behind the elegant white trims and sturdy columns.

Moments before, Lady DuBois requested Juliette to fetch Édith from the Bridgerton house as it was nearing dinner. Édith spent the afternoon amongst Hyacinth and Gregory. Although she was a year older than Gregory and three years older than Hyacinth, Édith connected with the two siblings like a missing puzzle piece. Juliette remembered how during her summers in London, whilst Juliette spent her days roaming the Bridgerton house with Anthony, Édith did the same with Gregory and Hyacinth. The three were as thick as thieves.

Juliette could hear the loud giggles and heavy footsteps from the floor above. She began to grow impatient. That evening, Juliette was due to attend another ball and to see Prince Friedrich once again. They had not spoken since Somerset House a few days prior. The entirety of the event at Somerset was pure bliss. Prince Friedrich was as kind as his title suggests and he was, to simply put it, charming. Fortunately, she had the opportunity to speak with Reginald as well, although briefly. Juliette was on edge from the night's nearing events, as nervousness seeped into her thoughts. Her usual patient demeanour dissipated quickly.