xxvii

chapter twenty-seven
WEDDING AFFAIRS — PART I

IN THE WEEK THAT FOLLOWED ANTHONY'S AND JULIETTE'S BETROTHAL, Lady DuBois and Lady Bridgerton made sure to keep her busy

IN THE WEEK THAT FOLLOWED ANTHONY'S AND JULIETTE'S BETROTHAL, Lady DuBois and Lady Bridgerton made sure to keep her busy. Juliette's life became an abrupt and mind whirring dance of different fabrics, flower assortments and accent colours thrown at her. Most of her days were spent in the DuBois drawing-room with her aunt and Lady Bridgerton as they planned her wedding ceremony. The two ladies seemed to have taken the project under their wings, seeing as Juliette offered little input. In fact, her presence among her aunt and Violet was redundant, but the two insisted she take part in the planning. It wasn't that Juliette was disinterested in the details of her wedding, that couldn't be further from the truth. She couldn't seem to get a word in over her aunt and Violet's excitement. Nonetheless, most of what they decided on, Juliette agreed with.

Juliette wasn't quite sure why they were so frantic in their planning — the wedding was still two weeks away. She hardly had a moment to catch her breath, much less actually see her fiancé, between different shades of blue thrown in her face.

Whilst Juliette and Anthony became engaged the minute he returned from Paris, the rest of the ton, including their families, were under the impression that the event occurred the morning after. As much as Juliette's aunt and uncle adored Anthony, they would not tolerate the man sneaking into their niece's bedroom, let alone late at night. So, to avoid any unanswerable and condemning questions, Anthony "proposed" to Juliette once again the morning after. But, the two considered the first proposal the real proposal. Even though they would be married soon, the two would rather not be marred by scandal before their wedding day.

When Juliette wasn't in the DuBois drawing-room with her aunt and Anthony's mother, she was at The Modiste getting fitted for her wedding dress and other items. It was rather uncomfortable having Violet tag along, especially since she insisted Juliette must have at least five new nightdresses for the honeymoon earlier that week. As if it couldn't get worse, her aunt scoffed as if five was a ridiculous number and countered, 'Juliette must have seven! One for every day of the week!'

At the current moment, Juliette stood as straight as a board as Madame Delacroix poked and prodded the white fabric hanging off her body. The dress or lump of fabric to say has yet to take shape, leaving Juliette looking as if she was wearing a bedsheet somewhat fitted to her body. However, that did not prevent her aunt from fawning.

"She's quite the beautiful bride, don't you agree, Violet?"

"Oh, yes!" Lady Bridgerton agreed with haste.

As she looked in the mirror, she noticed the large grins painting her aunt's and Violet's faces as they stood close behind Madame Delacroix. A flicker of white in the mirror caught her attention. The ring on her fourth finger glinted in the light. She smiled. A week has passed since Anthony gifted her the ring, and ever since she could hardly believe it was real. Her finger welcomed the new weight and most times she forgot she was even wearing it. Anthony and her uncle travelled to Paris to retrieve it from her father's hold. Truth be told, she never thought she would see the ring again. She could not be more grateful.