Golden Eyes

Chapter 13: Golden Eyes

Snow Whites Pov

A few minutes later Hans and I were walking down the hall and towards the proper front doors of the dining room. My emotions were still in a whirl and I didn't want Merin to notice I was in the kitchen, as to why we were going to walk through the front doors. The halls were dimly lit, the only source of light coming from small windows nearby. Walls had hung with paintings of past kings and queens.

As we walked, Hans and I were wondering what would happen between Merlin and I once the day was over. I told him I would talk to Papa about wanting Merlin as a suitor. Upon hearing this, Hans was happy with the news and went on about how Merlin was a kind man-no-a great man. The talented chief didn't need to boast about Merlin though, I had already made up my mind to continue seeing Merlin, no matter what distance.

As we entered the front doors of the royal dinning room my stomach started to twist as I saw Merlins Profile. His face lit up with a shy closed smile making my palms start to sweat. It felt like I couldn't walk properly towards my seat as we didn't stop looking at each other. We didn't look away from each other until Papa stood and called out for me. My father looked well again in his rightful place in the palace.

Papa stood up to give me my good morning hug. He smelled like the firewood that was burning behind him. It felt good to hug my father as a man instead of a wooden bunny. Papas robe was warm and soft as I embraced him. A kiss was placed on my forehead and his facial hair tickled my skin.

Backing away, I turned to take my seat. I saw Merlin holding my seat out waiting for me. I gave a wobbly smile growing nervous. Papa was chatting excitedly with Arthur and his adventures all over fairytale land. It had always been clear to me that Arthur was Papa's favorite flavor out of the group, and if anyone ever doubted it, I could just show them all the hundreds of collected newspapers that were collected in the library.

My father gave me a look that I could read silently. He wouldn't be discussing the thing on both our minds, not in front of the F7. From the way he kept eyeing Merlin I knew he had more than a few things to say. My only wish was for my father to accept Merlin and hoped he would be welcoming to my first courtship.

Breakfast went on with papa bombarding the heroes with questions and the Fearless Seven were more than eager to share their stories. The Fearless Seven ate up the attention of the King...minus Merlin. Merlin was giving me so much attention that it made me loose my appetite. On top of that, it seemed that every minute that passed I was getting drowsier and drowsier.

The table was gorgeously decorated with some plants to give more color. The table mats were a floral blue with golden edges. I found that my plate only had two pancakes, as requested. Frowning, I started to cut a piece. Merlin looked sad as he watched me poke at my pancakes. Why he was sad, I have no clue.

"Are you not feeling well?"

Turning to him, I nodded and stifled a yawn, "I'm just really tired."

He gave a nervous little laugh, "I almost thought you'd fallen asleep".

I gave a lopsided smile, "Almost. Could you hand over the honey please," my head bobbed in the direction of the sweet substance. As Merlin reached over and handed it to me our fingers touched. Electricity sparked up my arm, zapping me, making me shake my finger in hopes to ease the pain. Analyzing my digit, I saw there was a little black smoked tip on my nail. No one seemed to notice around me, everyone was too caught up with telling the time they had to fight a cyclops.

Merlin looked abashed and rubbed the back of his neck mouthing sorry. I shook my head already forgiving him and held out my hand for him to take. He took it and placed both our hands under the table on his lap. Just holding his hand made me happy even in my tired state.

"What did I miss? I came to breakfast pretty late."

"Nothing really, surprisingly you father didn't ask me much."

"Understandable. This isn't the best time to discuss of our...us" I gave his hand a reassuring squeeze. "But don't worry. It'll be fine".

Merlin didn't seem convinced but continued, "Who were you talking to? Before you came to breakfast?"

"Oh I just ran into Hans on my way over, why do you ask?"

"No reason" 

Cocking my head to the side I kept looking at him. It was easy to tell when he was lying. Pulling my hand back from his I started to eat some pancakes again. As I was chewing my eyes wandered to the tray of croissants drizzled with chocolate. To the side, there were some bear claws. But the croissants were my main focus since they were always filled with a thin layer of chocolate.

I know honesty was the best way to form a relationship and eventually, I would be myself around Merlin. In a weird way, my nerves prevented me from eating a lot. One day he would see me but I just had to get comfortable first. It was sad thinking about not eating freely because I wanted Merlin to keep liking me. It feels so terrible to reject my cravings but I don't want to look like a pig in front of Prince Merlin...a prince...who is supposed to have a dainty little princess with an appetite of a bird...

A hand came into view and Merlin picked up the plate and offered one to me.

"Do you want one?"

My cheeks grew warm, "No not really"

"I think you do, since, you're gazing at them with more interest than me"

"Maybe when you become a yummy croissant I'll give you more attention"

"You know I can't become a yummy croissant, you've already labeled me as a yummy carrot"

Laughing, I just took one croissant not going to refuse something so heavenly.

"Also, I read your mind that you wanted one."

I probably gave a stricken face since he bit his lip to stop from bursting into a fit of laughter.

"Joking"

"I hope you are. I don't want my thoughts to be read."

"Now im really curious"

"And you're going to stay curious" I gave him a coy look. Suddenly my hands went to my head because of a throbbing pain. The medicine was fighting against me urging me to sleep. My vision started to blur a little.

"Are you alright?"

I shook my head to answer. The drowsiness had become so strong that I wanted to go back to my room and collapse. I couldn't since Merlin needed me to talk to papa and that conversation was too important to miss. Merlins put a hand on my back in concern.

"Maybe you should go to your room?"

Papa stopped eating and finally took notice of me, "My dear are you alright? You look so pale".

"Im not feeling very well," I was at my limit, "I'm sorry father but you're going to have to excuse me."

I had to get back to my room soon. With weak legs, I stood but almost fell over from the drowsiness. My vision was starting to blur making me breathe uneasily. Almost tripping over the food cover table, Merlin grabbed my arm holding me still. At this point, I couldn't hear what everyone was saying around the table. I took one step back and that was the last action I was in control of. Soon gravity was pulling me down and all I remembered were worried golden eyes. 

Love, 

L.E.Vega