(Chap:29) "Open Eyes"

Star if you loved it or comment and tell me what you thought of the story :D

______________________________

Chapter 29: Open Eyes... The Last Chapter

Warning: Rough Draft

(Snows Pov)

"Mom was always pretty. I know, I don't look like a princess. You even said it yourself when we met," I waved a Bearclaw pastry at Merlin and then bite off the tip.

Merlin's mouth was too full to interject but his scornful eyes told me he hated to be reminded of what he said in the past.

"I loved my mom. When she was in bed I couldn't go see her since Papa was afraid I would get sick"

I tried recalling what else I bothered me in my life.

"Kids were horrible. I was called names like cow or piggy. But that's when I realized that there were people who saw outer beauty and those who noticed my inner worth. Everyone who cared for me had a good heart and those are the people I ended up with".

We were playing a game where we couldn't talk when the other was talking. And when we were finished we couldn't ask questions, we could only talk about the question asked. After the Farmer's market, Merlin took me to a nearby field of luscious grass to eat and chat.

"What about your parents? How did you get into magic?"

"Magic?...well...My mom was a witch. A very good witch. My father... he was something else. He always liked to tamper in black magic. Mother didn't think he would but he did"

He gulped down his food uneasily, "One night I heard screaming. The house felt heavy and thick with a stench in the air. Something like death. I didn't want to move from bed but hearing my mom give those bloody cries made me dash for her."

Merlin paused and looked away, "I found my father in the kitchen over a cauldron and my mom was screaming for him to stop.'Stop,' she said, 'Stop it you'll hurt yourself'.

Putting his food away and back into the basket he continued, "He was chanting something I didn't even understand. Something that sounded like a snake would speak. Our little shack in the woods shook. There was this erry purple light all around our home, illuminating the woods. The pot had something in it that made my skin crawl," he rubbed his arms vigorously and I could see goosebumps rising.

"Still does thinking about it. The kitchen exploded with light sending my mom flying back, hitting her head against the wall. I was behind a wall and didn't get hit but was knocked to the floor by the force of the magic. When I opened my eyes there were still smoky purple tendrils lingering everywhere. The tendrils crept over my skin and burned. Whenever I tried to wipe it away... they just couldn't be touched. Whatever that magic was, it could touch me but I couldn't touch it back. My hand would just pass through them."

My mouth gaped open and I was going to ask when he talked over me, "Mother was moaning in pain but he was fine from the looks of it, but... she caught something. Something bad. She died a week later. Every day her skin growled darker until she was a purply black."

With a heavy sigh, he said his last sad words, "Black magic had killed my parents. She told me her last wish, she said, 'Always practice magic,' that for now, it would be the only thing keeping me alive. My parents never wanted to show me magic. They wanted me to not be wrapped up in the power that had the potential to consume me. That even if I didn't feel anything at first, If I said it enough my words would grow to have power. Would grow to have life. In the end, power would be my protection now since I didn't have them"