Chap 21: Buttons

Dedicated to my fellow readers, PinkRose77 and tweety12578.

Thank you both. Im hoping this came out as a Fluff(I think that's what it's called).

Chapter: Buttons

The once bright sky was blanketed in a deep purple and lazy stars dimly lit the night.  Even in the dark, Merlin could see his breath coming out in white puffs. Despite the chilling evening he was burning inside, his palms were hot with the smear of blood and he had an uncomfortable thin layer of sweat that only held grim in place.

The hunt took longer from his charade of not possessing magic, but still, he succeeded. So now, Merlin held two limp rabbits and in the other his bow. Somewhere in the woods, Merlin had left behind the green prince, his eagerness to return to the princess too great. As a dim porch light came into view all uncomfortable feelings of smeared blood subsided and he hurried forward.

Reaching for the door handle he could already sense the presence of a feminine figure on the other side. With a swift open, he was greeted with one of the world's proclaimed beauties. Merlin scowled as he was met with a cream-faced Jack reading on the couch. The attractive blond looked up and smiled, oblivious to the wizard's disappointment. It took effort for Merlin to smile back.

Glancing over to the side, Merlin saw that his study door was ajar. Walking past it, he went to the kitchen to wash before Snow White could see him. Coming into the kitchen Merlin's mouth started to salivate from the familiar scent of carrot soup.

In the kitchen, Hans was in his own little world as his heart and body were engaged in a dance with his beloved pot. His arms went up and they swayed as if worshiping his creation. Experienced fingers then moved, sprinkling dashes of spices into the dish. Merlin bit his lip to stifle any comments, amused with his friends' dance.

Setting down the rabbits on a wooden table, he went to the bowl of water and washed off as much grim as possible. It went noticed by Hans and Merlin tiptoed out of the kitchen. Walking back to his study he peeked through the slit of the open door wondering what Snow White was doing in his absence. Snow White wasn't sitting but instead, she had her back to the door and was staring out the window. He noticed that in her hands she held some papers and paintbrushes.

Jack's voice came out in a whisper from the living room, "You look like a creep"

Looking over his shoulder, Merlin gave him a dirty look. With an eye roll, he admitted it did look creepy. Not wanting Jack to observe him further, Merlin pushed the door open trying to not make a sound. Unsuccessful, Snow White heard the creak of the floorboards and turned.

The corner of her eyes crinkled in delight and her lips turned into a bright smile. It was pleasing to see the princess so happy, her smile so radiating that Merlin's own lips turned into a smile.

"Merlin '' She said his name as if it were the only word she knew. And for him, that was the only thing he needed to hear from the princess, for his name to sound so sweetly from her lips. Merlin said her name in return, hoping it affected the princess just as she did him. They kept their eyes locked in a silent conversation and Merlin took a step forward, nervous to be with his fair lady, a very pretty lady at that. The feelings that Snow White provoked were similar to the feeling of an adolescent. He felt his palms sweaty, body jittery, and far too excited for a particular girl. 

"How was your hu- oh", Snow's gaze wandered down his body and her nose crinkled "You-your", she pointed at his shirt at a particular streak of blood.

Merlins gaze followed Snow White's line of sight and saw what seemed to repulse her "It's just a bit of blood. It's not mine."

Snow-covered her nose as if the small stain was of great offense but that smile of hers stayed in place.