Chap20: Free

Chapter 20: Free

In the dirt were indented paw prints, nature had taken its toll on the prints and had made the tracks fade into the earth. It was clear that wolves had passed by but st till I wasn't sure if they were somewhere else in the woods. Arthur looked up at me with uneasiness but I shrugged unworried by the tracks.

"They're probably long gone", I said

The green dwarf stood up and brushed off the muck from his pants,"Stupid wolves", he grumbled.

I waved at the tracks, "Don't worry about them, besides what are a few wolves compared to us?"

Arthur gave that chuckle of his, "You're pretty much useless against a pack of wolves", he started to walk away from the tracks and dung.

"Without your powers, you're just another bite of lunch", he looked me over and mumbled, "A very bony lunch".

Before I could say anything the prince tusked at me with his tongue, "Damn, wolves. They just seem to be appearing more and more often"

Arthur placed a hand over his sword and looked around the forest. I stared at his fidgety fingers on the hilt of his sword.

"It's the first time we've seen wolf tracks in the area "I stated.

Arthur didn't look at me but continued to talk, "You and I may not be seeing them but I've heard how wolves are starting to pop up in near by towns.

He threw his arms up worriedly, "There acting strange, almost unnaturally".

The sound of a woodpecker caught my attention causing me to look around."How so?" I heard the sound of Arthur's feet shuffling.

"Well... They all seem to be going west"

Looking back down at the dwarf, I saw his jaw clench as he scratched the back of his head.

"Yeah, so what? They must have seen some food going that way"

The prince started up again, "They're going to Camelot"

"Right," I laughed, "Because wolves have the address in their pocket coat". Snickering at the joke I began to walk away from him and looked up at the sky. The once blue sky was quickly turning pink. I inhaled when the wind made my hair rustle along with the tree branches. There was a strange scent in the air.

"Morgana has sent word of Camelots wolf infestation"

Curiously, I looked over my shoulder, "You've never told me that, when did that happen?"

"Well if you'd had spent more time with me, you would have known a week ago".

To my left, I heard a faint rustle. Slowly I moved my arm towards my back and grabbed a bow from my quiver, setting up my weapon.

Arthurs's voice lowered, "You've been so busy with your princess lately we haven't had time to really talk" I could practically feel his glare but didn't turn, too nervous by the rustling in the bushes.

He continued to drone out a conversation of little importance to me. Something about how I was using my time incorrectly. Still, I stayed in a position ready to fire at anything in sight. I was going to wait a few seconds longer when he voiced out something bothersome.

"When are you going to stop playing with your little girl?" Without meaning to, my hand slipped letting my bow go. A small animal scurried out of the bushes as its life had almost ended. I sighed in annoyance, not from missing the squirrel but at Arthur.

"You're making a mistake Merlin, you've always loved your freedom. Why give up your bachelorhood for her?" He patted his chest.

"Free?" I gave an unattractive snort, "I've never been free with you Arthur. A life with her will set me free. Free to love and to one day be able to be what I please, even if it's in the far future, it will be more of a life than I could ever have with you".