Chapter 25: Toss and Turn

Chap 25: Toss and Turn

Merlins Pov

The early morning couldn't end fast enough. The rest of the fearless seven shortly awoke after me and went about their usual morning routine. All except, well, for Prince Arthur. Jack had taken the task of distracting the prince, leaving everyone to breathe. Without their presence, it was oddly quiet for the Fearless Sevens' home.

With the absence of the overbearing princes, everyone was free to bask in the relaxing atmosphere. Both royals were the sole reason why we did constant chores, as to maintain something of their old lifestyle. Sure we still maintained a tidy home for the princess but she wasn't at all high-handed or domineering. In fact, Snow White often asked if she could help with setting the table, washing dishes, or even fetching water.

Instead of the usual stale, stifling, and loud morning, the kitchen was filled with soft hums and sweet scents flowing on a cool breeze. A gentle smile on her lush soft face was a change from being cursed or growled at by leather-skinned men with five o'clock shadows. Snow White had everyone under her sweet spell of humming along to her happy tune. No one dared bring up last night's conversation, too content with the current mood.

But I wasn't. I was restless and couldn't wait for the morning to end so I could talk with her. I couldn't stop looking at Snow, wondering if we'd ever be left alone without Hans and the three inventors. But she was entirely engaged with our home, offering left and right to help out, wanting to do something, anything, to keep herself busy. I actually thought she was doing it on purpose, to avoid having to talk to me. But then I came to realize that Snow was just keeping herself busy from having to think of anything. It was so strange though. To see a princess doing such laboring work like helping with chores.

Snow White had set out crumbs on the window sill for nearby sparrows to eat. The birds came into the kitchen chirping happily to her now fading tune. While sweeping out feathers, bread crusts, and flour, I saw that deer were nearing the end of the trees to view the princess, curious at the odd melody.

Once Hans called everyone for breakfast, the trio of inventors came rushing to the table excitedly, bouncing all over, overjoyed to be eating pancakes on a Thursday rather than a Sunday morning. If they were worried about Snow White, that had ended long ago.

The triplets entertained Snow White, explaining how they wanted to make a thin rounded piece of glass be able to hold light inside. They wouldn't stop grabbing my arm trying to bring me into the conversation. Kio even grabbed my finger to poke at the metal strings nagging me that I needed to zap it. It was a ridiculous demonstration that failed.

Light playful banter continued at the table but even so the fact that Snow White wasn't eating continued to worry me. It made me feel terrible to know that my presence was the cause of her little appetite. I wanted to blame it on the fact that we didn't have exotic fruits such as blueberries, peaches or bananas to go on top of our breakfast. But even with a paler breakfast spread to what she was used to The cakes were soft, moist and by no means the reason for her lack of appetite. 

I wanted to blame Arthur for being the reason Snow wouldn't ea but from hearing bits and pieces of this morning's conversation, I knew I was the one to blame. She thought I'd be disgusted.

There was a lump in the middle of my throat when thinking about the word. That word was so foul that I could feel a bit of bile snake around the bottom of my tongue. Never should that word be used to describe her. Ever. There was nothing disgusting about this woman, especially her love for food!

Out of all the people in the world, I wanted to be the one who could make her feel secure. Even when she was nose dusted in powdered sugar, cheek stained with chocolate, or even smeared with whipped cream. Did I not show enough care? Was it not obvious how drawn I am to her? No matter what she did, she could never disenchant me. Im far too deep in her spell. There was this urgency in our relationship to fix. To come to terms that she would always be accepted by me.

In the end, Snow only ate half of her meal declaring she was full. I wanted to bring up the fact that she should be starving considering that she skipped dinner, but when I tried to offer a tray of carrot bread, Snow White refused it.

The action struck a chord in me causing my leg to bounce nervously, restless to talk to her in private. I was dying to know what Arthur had mentioned, causing her sullen change in mood. Having Snow White be able to confess to me was of greater value than my friend's word. Having her tell me was a sign of trust, faith, and love.

At the table, Snow White and I discussed that we would be going soon. Our time at the cottage was finally over and we needed to urgently return to the palace or else we would be tracked down by angry royal guards. Hans overheard this and reminded me of the farmer's market, signaling me to harvest my vegetables before our departure. As I excused myself, I expected to tend to my garden alone but was surprised when Snow White followed behind. My heart raced at the thought of her accompanying me.

My lips came up to form a ghost of a smirk feeling her fingers tug the sleeve of my shirt, halting me on the way out to entangle our fingers. Her hand gripped mine tightly as if she hadn't held it in forever, making my breathing to become jumpy and shaky. I was not only jumpy from her touch but just imagining the daunting conversation that needed to be discussed.

My thumb caressed her hand, finally being able to hold some part of her. She seemed very fond of the action as her own lips curved upwards. When I looked at her I saw rays of sunlight reflecting off her irises. I gave a slight frown seeing that there was something different in those eyes. They weren't the usual brown eyes shimmering with honey flecks, full of life. Those brown eyes of hers were looking up at me. Dull. Pale. Tired and with something like longing or a craving desire.

I could feel my own eyes droop. These miserable little eyes yanked at my heart, howling with bells and whistles that she needed me. I was right here and yet, these sad eyes wouldn't light up.

With a light squeeze of her hand, I brought her knuckles up to kiss. Afterward, I licked my lips, tasting some remnants of sweet sticky honey. Starting this moment I would always want to taste the remnants of the sweet pastries she ate. Not just skin. But the cream, frosting, or jam that was left on her darling little fingers.

We were finally alone. The air, thick from the layers of problems and worries that kept compiling over our time together. But even if I must trudge through thick, soupy, suffocating air, I will stay with her. Hand in hand I would continue to hold her, even if she drowned me. Even if she made me struggle and lose air, I would hold her hand.

I wanted to avoid the conversation about Arthur altogether just to finally have a relaxing moment with her and force this stifling air away. But we wouldn't be able to relax, not with the air like this. Not until we got this resolved would we be able to breathe. This 'Arthur' conversation had me reeling all morning and night, and will continue to every bloody morning and through every hellish night until it got resolved. There was so much-Too much time that went between us. So much time were we spoke more with others but not one another. Hopefully though, once everything was resolved, we could have a time of peace in each other's company. A time to finally reconnect after all this time...

She had spent more time with Arthur and Hans to the point that my face ran green with envy.

I sucked in the heavy, smothering air, deep, deep down into the bile of my stomach to toss and turn.