Chap 22: Keepers

Chap 22: Keepers

Snow White's Pov

Merlin opened his eyes slowly and looked down at me. His bangs had gotten in front of his eyes yet golden flecks escaped through the strands. With a finger, I brushed them aside.

It had gotten dark, darker than when Merlin arrived, that not even the stars outside helped to illuminate the room. Our only source were the two candles that gave off the warm glow.

Merlin looked statuelike, unmoving, too afraid to do anything else other than blink. Wanting to let him know everything was alright, I stood on my tiptoes and kissed his cheek. He tasted salty and Grimmy but still, he was the perfect taste.

Wanting Merlin to snap out of his trance, I slowly dislodged myself from him and stepped around. The movement worked because Merlin lowered his head to hide his blushing cheeks. I noticed he gave a fake cough trying to seem unfazed as he finished removing his coat.

"Did you have fun?", Merlin croaked as he cocked his head towards the brushes.

"Not as much fun as I'm having now," I said playfully. Still, he couldn't look at me, hiding his red cheeks.

 Merlins eyes changed into that of concern and there was worry in his voice, "You've been inside this whole time?"

As I shook my head my brown hair swayed, "I was with Hans earlier baking a pie. I left the kitchen because well-Okay-don't tell him this but I couldn't stand any more food talk. The guy talked about the perfect process of how to whip cream for an hour",  I gave a grimace of a smile.

He laughed and rubbed the back of his neck, "Yea, Hans can be a bit much when it comes to food".  The wizard shuffled his feet and continued to look nervous. Wanting his eyes on me I walked over to the round table and let my red flats pitter-patter on the floors. I retrieved his journal and as I held it up, he looked at me then. 

"I did the whole alphabet like you told me, though you're not the best teacher since you left me alone", I gave a scolding tone, "And here I was hoping for a new professor", I shook my head in mocking disappointment. 

Some of Merlin's spark reignited and his lips quivered, "I'd enjoy being your private professor", he gave a wink. "Can that be my new nickname?"

My nose crinkled, not wanting to get involved in the play of roles.

"I think you've earned enough names," I stated.

He hummed, "Don't think so. I really like that name".

My skin flushed at the conversation, "You like them a little too much", I whispered and ducked my head. Suddenly, My skin prickled at the sound of a door slamming. Windows shook from the force and the sound of stomping was heard. Merlin and I jumped at the sound of an agitated Scottish voice.

"Merlin! Oy, you lef meh in the Doiken Wood, you blood's Ah-", kicking the door open Arthur halted.

The look that overcame Arthur made me uneasy. He may have been under 3 feet but he felt like a giant with his aura radiating off in dark waves. His face was contorted into a scowling look and the sight of blood on his hands didn't make him look less menacing.

The young prince had two fat rabbits on his right and my shoulders bunched up at the disgusting sight. I hated the sight of blood. The dwarf's gaze misted over as he glanced at me. I held back a gag and the urge to cover my nose from the smell of wet matted fur. After Arthur had kicked the door open his smell and the rabbits wafted into the room invadingly.

"There are wolves in the forest! Hungry wolves!" The prince pointed at Merlin as if to blame.

Merlin tusked, "Not hungry enough"