Chapter Four

No feelings involved. No freaking feelings involved. The only thing that Korra couldn't seem to comprehend. She said yes immediately, though. The raven-haired woman was a sex goddess and some simple condition wasn't going to stop her from fooling around with her.

She didn't understand Asami, not one bit. For a month, she ignores her for the same reason she wants to see her now? Where's the logic? The Avatar thought.

Korra was headed toward the evacuee camp for one reason and one reason only. So she could see the nonbender again.

"If I could have your attention everyone! We have another big day ahead of us. A new shipment of relief supplies just came in from Ba Sing Se, so we need volunteers to cook and pass out clothes, clots, and blankets. Oh, and Kya, if you could help the healers at the medic tent- they're short-handed today."

"Absolutely Zhu Li."

Korra glanced around the camp looking for the engineer, but got greeted by Tenzin instead, "Korra, what are you doing here?"

"Uh- I came to help out a bit, see how things were going."

"We still have new evacuees returning every day-"

"Still? It's been a month..." Korra mumbled.

"The camp's bursting at the seams. I'm pretty sure without Zhu Li whipping things into shape, things would be way worse. Her leadership has been very impressive, which is way more than I can say for president Raiko."

"Why? What did he do?"

"Nothing! That's the issue. He hasn't even bothered to come down here and see the problems firsthand. He's too preoccupied with his own reelection."

"He's never been the most compassionate guy..."

"Most people aren't happy he surrendered to Kuvira. At this point, he's so unpopular a flying lemur could run against him and probably win."

"What can I do to help?"

Kya butted into their conversation, "The evacuees I've spoken with are so grateful for what Korra did to save their city. I think an appearance from the Avatar would go a long way in lifting everyone's spirits."

"If you think it'll help, I'm happy to meet some people," the water tribe girl replied as she peeked out of the tent.

Tenzin happily pushed her out, "Okay then! Korra, I'll join you. Come on."

"So many displaced... it's heartbreaking..."

Korra and Tenzin glanced around the place, an evacuee spotted the two and with wide eyes, they yelled, "Is that ...? It's really her!"

"Hello," Korra replied.

"Avatar Korra!"

"Thank you, Avatar! You're the best!"

"Our hero!"

"Can you talk to president Raiko? Tell him we all need homes -- real homes," one person shouted.

Korra earth bent a giant pillar from the ground creating a stage for herself. She cleared her throat and was about to speak but her eyes met Asami's.

The Avatar ignored the raging pit in her stomach and carried on with her announcement, "Everyone, please! Listen! I feel for all of you. You've been through so much. And I'm sure you're tired, frustrated, and angry that your homes and neighborhoods have been destroyed. This is a time of great change for all of us in Republic City. But a wise man once told me that change can be good or bad, depending on your point of view. So maybe we could all look at this as a chance for a new beginning. I promise to work my hardest to make sure everyone has a place to live soon. I hope that the rebuilt Republic City will be full of new possibilities for all of us! Together, we can forge a bright future, living in balance with our planet, evolving into our best selves, and becoming who we truly want to be!"

The nonbender suppressed her smile and watched Korra leave back into the tent with Tenzin while the evacuees cheered her on.

Korra and Tenzin entered the tent where Zhi Li was waiting for them. She turned to the two and glanced at the water tribe girl, "Sounds like a visit from the Avatar was exactly what the evacuees needed."

"Korra really knows how to inspire a crowd. She even inspired me," Tenzin said.

The Avatar awkwardly scratched the back of her neck and smiled, "Now I just have to figure out a way to make good on my promise to find all those people new homes."

Zhu Li replied, "Funny you should say that. Asami just started drawing up some plans for new housing developments."

"Where is Asami anyway?"

"The quicker we can get people back to some sense of normalcy, the better," Asami voiced her presence as she entered the tent. She avoided Korra's gaze and walked toward Zhu Li.

"Want to show me what you have in mind?" Korra said, averting Asami's attention toward her.

They stared at each other for a shorter than both of them would've liked to. Asami cleared her throat and nodded, "Yeah, sure."

------

Zhu Li, Asami, and Korra were all glaring at the president.

"Korra and I were just at the evacuee camp -- the people living there need some real housing and they need it soon," Asami snapped.

"Asami started drawing up some plans, but we're going to need funding."

"Get in line. I've already diverted funds for additional police officers, on top of having to relocate the government. Not to mention all the infrastructure that needs repair. I'm sorry, but the city coffers are empty."

Zhu Li commented, "Sir, Republic City needs this. The longer people are displaced, the more unrest there's going to be."

"I'm happy to put up some of Future Industries' money for the project."

"And Varrick Industries will match it."

Raiko's campaign manager pulled him aside, "A word, sir? They may have a point. Right now, the voters hate you. You're running unopposed and the polls say you have negative three percent support."

"Negative three? How is that even possible?"

"Never mind that. If you focus on giving all those people a place to put down roots again, they'll forget about the whole Kuvira debacle. Crowds will be lining up to thank you -- with their votes."

Raiko thought for a moment before replying, "You may be on to something Wenyan."

The president turned around to face the trio. "On second thought ... Asami, why don't you finish drawing up the plans? Bring them by in a few days and I'll take a look. I'm sure we can find the money somewhere."

"Thank you, Mr. President," Asami replied.

They headed out. Varrick was waiting for Zhu Li outside, they both left leaving Asami and Korra alone. Asami searched for her keys in her purse and muttered to Korra, "Ten o'clock, my place. Don't be late."

She left leaving the Avatar in a flustered mess.