Chapter Twenty Six

The ride to the troop camp was the longest ten minutes of Korra's life. Even she could feel the tension between Mako and Wu and it was annoying her. If those two get into another fight it might as well be the end of the world.

The Team and Kuvira all peacefully approached the Earth Empire camp. Even though Asami was probably screaming in rage when she saw the people who were mostly responsible for killing her father she kept a straight face.

"We're here to talk with your leader."

Kuvira and Korra were facing the second in command. He tried to hide his shock when he saw Kuvira but clearly failed. The young boy looked far too naive to be second in command in Kuvira's eyes but she let the thought past her.

"He's not here at the moment, but I can take a message."

"Stand down. Surrender yourselves. The Earth Empire has fallen, there's no need for spite of some soldiers who don't even know what the world outside the Earth Kingdom looks like," Kuvira replied.

The boy clenched his jaw and his eyes widened in fear when his gaze averted behind the two women. Tokuga knocked out Mako, Bolin, Asami, and Wu, and grinned at the second in command which in other words meant, 'don't tell them I'm here'.

Even though he didn't the two women turned around in unison and glared at the half-breed, who they both thought was dead.

"What did you do to them?!" Korra snarled as he smirked, "Calm down, they'll wake up eventually."

"How are you still alive?" Kuvira questioned as she quickly bent part of the metal that was lying around the place and formed an armor around herself.

"You're not getting rid of me that easily," he spat out and launched his tentacle arm at both of them.

Kuvira leaped backward into the metal wall behind her as he viciously chocked Korra. Kuvira, who now tried to get back to her senses bent the metal from the wall and hit Tokuga right under his tentacle arm making him drop Korra and back away in pain.

That was the only time he had gotten physically hurt that he didn't heal back in seconds. Korra noticed this and bent even more metal at him while glancing at Kuvira, "Hit him with metal! It's poisonous to his spirit side!"

Korra and Kuvira were going to do anything it took when taking him down until the Earth Empire soldiers interfered and stopped them.

"What are you imbeciles doing?!" Kuvira roared when the benders trapped them in metal, even if they tried bending out, the soldiers would just add more pressure and more metal which would eventually crush them.

Tokuga stood up, his tentacle still bleeding. He was still in pain but didn't show it. With one final blow, he punched Kuvira with his human hand making her fall unconscious due to the pressure of the hit.

He turned to the Avatar with a smug grin, "Your turn."

With one swift motion and a bit of pain, he rose his tentacle arm wrapping around her and the metal pole around her. He added more and more pressure crushing her ribs while in the process she screamed in anguish. Suddenly, blacking out.

------------------

The ringing in her ears is what woke her up.

Korra forced off the metal bar from her ribs, groaning as she heard her bones crack. She shut her eyes and forced back a bite as she felt all the knots tightening and snapping in her muscles.

She was brought back to the time when she'd been poisoned by Zaheer. Reminding herself that nothing could be as tormenting as breaking both her legs and her pelvis, all during the same time as having mercury poisoning, she drew a deep, troubled breath, and forced herself to move.

Summoning up whatever strength she had left in her reserved, Korra jerked her eyes open. Spitting out a heap of blood to the earth beside her, she rose stiffly to her shaky feet. She leaned to her right side as a screaming pain shot up her left.

"Definitely broke a few ribs," she muttered to herself as she looked around.

Everyone seemed to be gone. Their Satomobile was still here, yet there was no sign of Tokuga, or her friends, let alone the soldiers. Everything was simply empty.

Am I dead? she thoughts and then shook her head. I wouldn't have broken ribs if I was dead, right?

Korra limped into the camp, leaving a bleeding mess behind her. She was clutching her right side, which she just discovered had a giant scar leading from her hip to the top of her ribs. What did that maniac do to me? As long as the cut may be, Korra was grateful it wasn't too deep.

Using a bit of air-bending, she vaulted over a few of the long green weeds before falling roughly onto her injured side. Letting out a piercing shriek, she held her torso harder, her vision blurring from the pain. Fire struck at her veins, her frame trembling with agony.

"Where are you, you half-breed freak!?" she screamed.

Ice blue eyes met snake-like ones as the two enemies met each other's furious gazes. Tokuga was standing atop of a tank, his short hair was frazzled all over the place. He looked as if he'd just fought an entire army of soldiers but all Korra could think about was Asami. About the love for the woman that ran unparalleled to any love, she'd ever experienced, even for Mako.

"Where the hell is Asami!" she growled.

Korra let go of her side and stood up straight, her eyes alight with power and determination to bring an end to this, once and for all.

"Screw your little girlfriend," he spat out, "You're a pathetic excuse for an Avatar!" he bellowed, swinging his new sword to face Korra. He scowled at her angered tears burning in his eyes.

"You did this to me!" he yelled pointing to his half spirit side.

Korra let out a sarcastic laugh, "I've said this before and I'll say it again, I tried to stop the spirit from attacking you! You did all of this to yourself! And I'm going to put an end to you for everything you've done!"

"No, now, I'm going to put an end to you, Avatar."

Before he could swing his sword at her, they both heard an exploding sound come from behind them. Tokuga's eyes stopped moving as he fell to his knees. Korra who was still clutching her right side in pain looked baffled at the small red mark forming from his chest.

The Avatar glanced from the source of the sound to see Mako, Bolin, and Kuvira standing there. Also with Asami who was gripping a shooter in her hand.

"What the hell just happened?" Korra questioned.

"The shooters work, I guess," Asami replied, leaving a sigh of relief from her mouth. Mako was searching for Wu who was nowhere in sight and Asami kneeled to Korra's level so she could keep direct eye contact with her.

"Are you alright?"

"I've been better, actually," the Avatar replied sarcastically.

But even after what happened, no matter her outcome, she swore to bring peace to Republic City, and the world. And she intended to keep that promise to everyone.

She leaned to her girlfriend's side as her eyes closed slowly. No matter her outcome.