fourteen - act cool

david pov

  "how pissed do you think y/n is at me?"

  "she slammed her overly priced door, she never does that." evan turns to me and says, before cringing.

  "if she really is in a real relationship with that boy then she's probably pissed beyond belief." tyler takes a drink of his coffee.

  "damn. i'm scared of her." i shake.

  "she's only 15." evan says to me.

  "yeah well she's scary. her attitude fluctuates like an elevator in a mall on black friday."

  "it's because she's a kid." tyler says.

  we hear her alarm clock go off in her room, i brace for what's about to happen to me. i was trying to be a good dad..not dad..parent. she shuts it off and the noise stops, silence from her end for awhile until we hear her door open. she comes downstairs and sits on an armchair.

  "good morning y/n." i say, scared out of my mind.

  "what." she turns to me.

tyler pov

  someone has got to save david. it won't be me, but someone's gotta do it. i mean, this is just plain awkward and i do not want to be here. i'll say something to get out of this room.

  "so y/n, we were thinking you could have b/n over today."

  she turns to me and cocks her head. she spent her whole childhood imitating jon and what he does, his habits stuck to her like a glue trap. she narrowed her eyes but her expression was soft.

  "why?" she asks.

  "if he's a part of your life, he should be a part of ours." david says. way to steal my line.

  "why should i trust you?" she cocks her head to the right even more, her expression because cold, scary.

  "you've been in our care for so long and you're still alive, that's why. now call him and invite him over."

  she doesn't say anything and walks to her room. we hear mumbling and her pacing around for awhile. she comes back downstairs and sits back in the chair.

  "he'll be here at 12." she says, it's 9 right now.

  "okay, we'll make lunch, and be cool dads, not dads, whatever." i say, she gets up and goes to her room.

  "someone go get jon." evan says, and i'm up.

evan pov

  we wait for jon to get down here before we discuss what to do about y/n's boyfriend coming over to the house. our plan: act cool.

  "someone's got to be the wine aunt." david says, earning a look from tyler.

  "should we leave them alone or try to make a little conversation?" i ask.

  "leave them alone." says tyler.

  "make conversation." says david, i look at jon for the final decision.

  "we introduce ourselves and that's it." jon says, we all nod.

  "what's this kids name?" jon asks.

  "b/n."

  "that's an ugly name."

  "you're an ugly name."

  "you aren't acting very cool." i say.

  "we are cool!" they all yell back at me.

  "we have about three hours to prepare, we need to clean the house. we owe it to y/n." i say, everyone nods.

  the house isn't that dirty, just needs vacuuming, delirious needs to get the dishes out of his room to serve lunch, and we set up everything. david decides to cook y/n's favorite pasta, hoping her boyfriend will like it too. we are viewing this as a test for us to y/n, but it's also a test for her boyfriend to us. all i know is that if this hangout is successful, everyone will be happy.

  after awhile y/n comes downstairs with her hair in a bun, and wearing comfy clothes. so she feels comfortable around him, good, our faces show our relief.

  "just to be clear," y/n says, walking into the kitchen, "he is not my boyfriend."

  "got it."

  "okay."

  "yeah sure."

  "he isn't?"

  "no, he isn't. please, don't forget that. a slip up will totally embarrass me." she pushes her fly always behind her ears.

  "we won't, we promise."

your pov

  b/n should be here any second. you think, patiently waiting on the couch for the doorbell to ring. you flip through the apps on your phone nervously, scared of what might happen if even the most minor detail of this hangout goes wrong. you open instagram for the fifth time before you here the doorbell ring.

  "i'll get it." tyler says, going to open the door. you stay sitting.

  "hi, i'm here to see y/n." you hear b/n's voice and your face flushed red, you calm yourself down and listen in.

  "no problem, i'm tyler. go ahead and come in."

  you hear the door close and decided to get up to greet him, you wave nervously to him and he walks over, you two sit on the couch and talk for a second, before the rest of your parents come in.

jon pov

  this kid? really y/n? you could've done better. he's so...boring! whatever, if she likes him then i guess i like him to.

  "hi i'm jon, y/n's kinda dad." i held out my hand and he shook it from the couch, good grip.

  "this is david and evan." i gesture my head over to the guys behind me, they go to shake his hand.

  "we'll have lunch served in a bit, until then we'll leave you two alone."

  evan says, and y/n smiles, her naturally down turned eyes squint and her nose scrunches up just a little. we leave the room, and they talk again. she seems happy, and now we seem cool. this looks like it'll be a success.