Chapter Eight

Declan~

Keeping his word to Nate was proving to be no easy task. His feelings were easy to conceal when Lexi wasn't around, but he knew he was in for a rough night when he saw Lexi getting off the hotel elevator. Tall heels that accentuated her toned legs mixed with a tight pink dress had him practically drooling as she walked toward the bar.

Letting out a low guttural growl into the mouth of his beer as he tried desperately to school his expression and reaction in front of Nate. Controlling his body's response to Lexi was damn near impossible and a completely new feeling.

Get it together man.

Declan scolded himself as he tore his eyes away from her and forced himself to stare down at his drink hoping to gain some control over himself. But no amount of internal reprimand would be able to contain his need for Lexi. His body's reaction to her presence was carnal, almost animalistic and one that he had no control over.

Seeing the hurt and confusion in her eyes as he continued his charade to protect Nate nearly gutted him and by the time they had reached the club Declan had decided he had had enough. He'd have to confront Nate and was prepared for whatever consequences that entailed.

At that point Declan was ready to do just about anything to be able to get his hands on Lexi, he just needed to wait for the opportunity to talk to Nate one on one and a crowded dance club was definitely not the right venue for the conversation they needed to have.

Watching Lexi on the dance floor was pure torture. Every man that approached her put a knot in his stomach, but she politely rejected each one and sent her gaze to Declan almost as if she were seeking affirmation. There was still a chance that she'd forgive him for the way he had acted over the past two hours and he wasn't going to blow that chance.

Fuck this. I'll talk to her as soon as Nate is occupied or out of sight.

As soon as Claire had cornered Nate on the dance floor Declan seized his opportunity and quickly turned all of his efforts into righting his wrongs with Lexi.

Going through all of the scenarios in his mind, Declan was prepared for an argument. He was ready to take anything that Lexi could dish out and grovel if necessary. He had been awful toward Lexi the entire night and he was ready to receive the same treatment in return because, hell, that's what he deserved.

His heart swelled and melted at her response to his admission of wrongdoing.

"There you are, I've been looking for you all night," she said with the most genuine smile.

She didn't try to punish him or argue with him. Just a simple acknowledgement that he had not been acting like himself followed by instant forgiveness. What the hell? Was it really that easy?

It took a second for him to process her response because it was so completely foreign. But it became abundantly clear that Lexi didn't have a spiteful bone in her body and comparing her to any other woman he had been with in the past was pointless. The light that radiated from Lexi's sweet smile slammed into Declan's chest and spread warmth throughout his body in the most intoxicating way, affirming his decision to give her the attention she deserved.

Once she had excused herself to the restroom Declan sat there mulling over the evolution of his feelings for Lexi over the past forty eight hours.

His once clouded heart suddenly gained perfect perspective. Lexi was kind and genuine with a sense of humor that matched any one of his teammates. She didn't find joy in drama or enjoy dishing out punishment. She was the embodiment of compassion and grace, a perfect light to his darkness. She was - everything.