Epilogue

Declan~

A few weeks later Declan and Slater were returning their weapons to the armory after some target practice when a shrill alarm sounded from Declan's pocket.

"Ah shit. I'm late."

As if on cue the phone rang in his hand with a call from Pierce.

"Tell her I'm on my way." Declan said immediately into the phone.

"No worries, Boss. I'll get started with her until you get here."

"I appreciate it, brother." Declan replied as he hung up the phone and quickly finished disassembling his weapon.

Lexi had been coming up to the gym at Knight Security every morning for physical therapy exercises. Declan had the physical therapist come up to teach him the therapeutic exercises Lexi would need to help the tremor in her arm. Once his team heard about the physical therapist, they all insisted on attending the session as well, allowing them to step in and help Lexi if Declan was ever unavailable.

"How's she doing?" Slater asked.

"Good days and bad, but mostly good. Her mom came and stayed for a few days to make sure she was okay and to get the full story of what had happened, which Lexi had been less than honest about before, but I think it was more to interrogate me before moving Lexi into my place long term."

"I'm guessing you passed inspection?" Slater chuckled.

"With flying colors." Declan said with a proud smile.

"Well from what I can see, she seems to be doing well. The limp lessens every day and I've only seen her arm tremor a few times. She's a resilient little thing isn't she?"

"You have no idea. She's determined to get better and wants it to be instant. I have to remind her every day that this healing process is a marathon, not a sprint."

"How have things been since she's moved in? We gonna be hearing wedding bells soon?" Slater asked with a playful wiggle of his eyebrows.

"I'd marry her today If I could." Declan's response was immediate and genuine.

"But she wants to be fully healed before we tie the knot, which I can't say that I blame her. But whether we get married next week or next year, she's the one. Without a doubt."

"I'm happy for you brother," Slater said, giving him a congratulatory slap on the shoulder.

Declan jogged over to the gym and found Pierce and Lexi doing her exercises using resistance bands. Pierce was wide stanced and holding either end of the band with his arms expanded, letting Lexi pull the band toward her body from the middle with her left hand.

"Alright Darlin', give me five more." Pierce instructed.

"I can do ten." Lexi grunted with a determined look on her face.

"Get it then, girl!" Pierce cheered, giving her an encouraging smile.

Declan watched them with his arms folded across his chest and a smile on his face. Equally proud of his woman and touched by the caring nature of his teammate. Once they finished he wrapped his arms around Lexi from behind and planted a kiss on her cheek.

"Lookin' good, gorgeous."

"I could have done more," she said as if she were trying to prove something to him.

"You've gotta take this slow, Lex.  Marathon, remember?" He planted another kiss on her cheek.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah...whatever you say Boss," she said as she turned her head and pressed her lips into his.