Chapter Twenty Two

Lexi ~

Lexi jumped at the opportunity to go down and have breakfast with Declan in the hotel restaurant. 

While she was thrilled to get out of the hotel room, she could tell something was on his mind. He was attentive in his actions, but his mind was distant and clearly working overtime.

Taking one last look in the hall mirror, Lexi tried to fix her hair so it covered her bruised cheek. As soon as she had it positioned just right, Declan's rough hand brushed over the bruised skin and tucked the hair back into place behind her ear.

"I only see you," he reminded her over her shoulder, looking into her eyes through the mirror.

"But everyone else might not."

A wave of insecurity washed over her and her confidence plummeted as she surveyed her bruised skin. 

"Who gives a shit what they think?" Declan said against her neck as he peppered her with kisses from ear to collar bone.

The ecstasy of his lips on the soft skin of her neck made it difficult to concentrate on anything else, including her self-doubt. All of her insecurities were an insignificant afterthought as she tilted her head, giving him more room to delve into her neck.

"You're right," she said in a low voice, still recovering from his kisses.

Taking in a big breath, she squared her shoulders in the mirror.

These bruises don't define you, Lexi.

She fixed her posture and tried her best to exude confidence with a slight lift of her chin.

"Okay, Let's go," she finally agreed.

*****

Declan picked a table that was out of the way in a corner and kept nervously running his hand back through his hair. 

What is his deal?

They talked all through breakfast, but it was evident that Declan had something he wanted to talk to her about and was waiting for the right time. Whatever it was it couldn't be good if it were that difficult to say.

"Listen, Lex. I gotta talk to you about something."

Here it comes.

"Nate got a voicemail from your landlord saying Asher had been on the property asking for a key to your apartment."

The color drained from Lexi's face and her lungs pushed out a hard breath.

"Okay..." she said, trying not to panic and starting to analyze her options.

"Will you consider coming to California with us for a little while, just until... until we know it's safe for you to go back home?"

His offer overwhelmed her with relief. There wasn't one piece of her that wanted to return home alone, especially now.

"Of course I will," she said without hesitation.

"Claire's guest bedroom is like my second home. I think I've even got some clothes stored in a dresser there."

"Or you could stay at my place," Declan offered casually.

Her stomach flip flopped as she considered what that meant. 

Remembering his words - his desire to take her on his bed in his space - flashed through her mind. She wanted that too, more than she wanted her next breath, but didn't want to come across as desperate.