Chapter Twenty

Declan ~

As he entered Nate's room it looked more like a command center than a hotel room.

Declan wasn't surprised that Nate was already working on tracking the men who hurt Lexi. There were multiple screens with pictures of Asher and his accomplices populated on each one.

With his back to Declan Nate was vigorously typing and acknowledged him without turning around.

"Yo. How's our girl?"

"Still pretty uncomfortable. I'm about to run down to get her something to eat. Want me to bring you anything?"

"Nah."

Nate's eyes were still glued to the screen in front of him as he held up a protein bar and waved it in the air.

"I can go get Lexi some breakfast," Claire offered as she came out of the bathroom.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I was just about to go down and grab something for myself."

"Sweet. I appreciate it. She asked for pancakes," Declan said gratefully.

"Got it!"

He could tell Claire was eager to make herself useful and with her out of the room he and Nate could talk business.

Bracing his weight on the back of Nate's chair Declan leaned over him and eyed the mug shots on the screen.

"You find anything on these fuckers?"

"Only their names, birthdays, addresses, socials, rap sheets, and blood types."

"Hooyah."

Declan gave Nate a grateful slap on the shoulder and muttered the Navy battle cry as acknowledgement of a job well done. 

A deep burning need for revenge settled in Declan's gut as he stared at Asher's photo on the screen. Hatred blazed within him as if he were looking at a picture of the devil himself.

Of course he's fucking smiling in his mug shot.

Cracking his neck from side to side, Declan tried to release some of the rage that was bubbling way too close to the surface.

His emotions were too fresh - too raw to control. Last night his concern for Lexi outranked his blood lust for Asher, but his restraint had limits. An image of Asher dragging a knife across Lexi's perfect skin flashed in his mind and stole his focus.

He rolled his shoulders back and forced his eyes closed to try and rid himself of it.

"Police couldn't find him last night, but I traced his credit card activity this morning. He's already out of the state."

"Good." Declan's words were ice cold.

"I want to be the one to find him. I want to rip his heart from his chest and shove it down his fucking throat."

"I'm right there with you, brother."

"Once Claire gets back, I'll have her go in the other room and have breakfast with Lexi. The rest of us can meet in here and I'll fill you guys in on the intel I've got so far."

Declan nodded in agreement as he peered into the adjoining room and saw a sleeping Lexi.

"I'm guessing she forgave you?"

"You already know the answer to that."

"I know, but I still want to hear you say it." Nate joked.