Chapter Twenty Eight

Lexi~

Once Lexi's eyes had closed, they didn't open again until around noon. With Declan still sleeping she leaned up slightly to look at the time before settling back into the bed. Declan laid on his back with one arm folded under his head and the other resting on his abdomen. Tucking herself into his side, she moved and squirmed trying to get as close to him as possible.

"Quit wigglin' woman," he uttered without opening his eyes.

His words put a smile on Lexis face as she playfully wiggled even harder against his side and watched for his reaction.

Opening one eye, he glanced at her before letting out a hard sigh.

"Alright I'm up, I'm up," he grumbled.

"Are you hungry? I make a mean grilled cheese." She offered.

"Hell yes," he said instantly, but still hadn't completely opened his eyes.

Deciding a shower of kisses might awaken the sleeping giant, she leaned over him and covered his face in feather light kisses. There wasn't one inch of skin that her lips hadn't touched and his lazy smile indicated that he definitely wasn't hating the attention.

Hopping up and out of the bed, Lexi heated the stove and started making grilled cheese sandwiches. A shirtless, sleepy Declan emerged a few minutes later.

"You like sleeping in my shirts don't you?" He asked as he wrapped himself around her from behind.

"They're comfy and they smell like you."

He placed a kiss on her cheek before taking a seat at the bar that overlooked his kitchen.

"Listen Lex, I owe you an explanation for last night."

His words stalled her movement briefly as she used a spatula to scoop their sandwiches onto plates. Sliding one to Declan, she stood across from him at the counter trying to mental prepare herself for whatever news he was about to deliver.

"Okay," she said cautiously.

"I wasn't completely honest about the job I worked yesterday."

Lexi's eyes narrowed for a split second before righting themselves. The flash of movement was so fleeting, Declan may have missed it if he had blinked.

She tried to keep her emotions even and controlled as he continued, but she hated being lied to and had good reason to. Her father was a liar and a damn good one at that. He would leave for months at a time, lying to her every weekend that he'd be home or that he'd come pick her up and take her on some extravagant vacation. She believed his lies and allowed him to break her heart over and over until she reached middle school. His final lie before he disappeared was that he would be picking her up from school, but he never showed. Lexi waited for hours and cried on the shoulder of a shaggy-headed boy named Nate who refused to leave her side.

She could forgive a lot of things, but being lied to cut her deeply.

"Go on," she said flatly.

"I told you I got called away for work which was only partially true. It was a mission that was sanctioned by Knight Security, but it was more... personal in nature."

"I don't understand," she said honestly.

"I can't tell you all the details but, we infiltrated one of Diego Estrada's warehouses in search of Asher."

Lexis eyes went wide and she fully understood why he had omitted that information. She knew the gravity of messing with Estrada and would have begged him not to go.