Chapter Eighteen

Declan~

"Why didn't you call me sooner?" Nate said quietly from the other side of the room.

"I...I didn't think I could handle it if you defended her. It was selfish and stupid. I know it was."

Declan aggressively rubbed his face with one hand before he continued.

"Everything I've done tonight was selfish and stupid! And now I've probably lost the best thing that's ever happened to me. Why? Because I fucked it all up."

The room stayed quiet for a few minutes before any of the men spoke.

"She'll forgive you Dec," Nate finally said.

"How? How could she possibly forgive me?"

"Because that's who she is," Nate countered.

"No. Not after what I did. I promised to take care of her and at my first test of honor I abandoned her. I left her, Nate. Left her with that maniac because I couldn't allow myself to trust her! She reached for my arm in the hotel, reached out and tried to signal me before that animal put his hands on her, but I pulled away. I couldn't see past my own pride and I assumed the worst in her. I left her there!"

"She'll still forgive you."  Nate remained steady and constant with his statements.

"Nate I emotionally tortured her! I hurt her on purpose because I thought I would like it!"

"Yeah, well did you?" Nate yelled.

"No! I hated every second of it and would take it back if I could. But I can't."

"She just deserves so much better," Declan muttered under his breath.

He pinched the bridge of his nose and rubbed his eyes harshly trying, but failing to gain control over his emotions before standing abruptly to leave.

"When she wakes up tell her I'm sorry. I'll try to make myself scarce the rest of the trip until we head back."

"Wait you're leaving?" Pierce chimed in.

"What else can I do? It's what's best isn't it?" Declan answered with frustration in his voice.

"No. It's not," Marcus added.

"She'll forgive you Dec. I know she will." Nate said once again.

"Look at what I did to her Nate!" Declan screamed as he motioned toward the connecting door.

"I did that," he said as he pounded on his chest.

"No you didn't! Asher did that," Nate screamed in return as he stood and faced Declan.

"You have to stay. You have to fight for her because you two are..." Nates voice trailed as he searched for the right words.

"What? Meant for each other? You honestly believe that?" Declan snapped.

"With everything I have," Nate replied immediately with confidence.

"Why?" Declan countered quickly.

"Because...shit...because she saved you Dec!" Nate finally screamed as if he were revealing a secret.

"What are you talking about?" Declan asked as he calmed his tone and lowered his voice in confusion.

Nate was visibly shaken and clearly had something he was wrestling with that needed to come to light.

"There's something I need to tell you. Something I should have told you a long time ago, but..."