Chapter Nineteen

Lexi~

Every inch of her body ached and she felt the need to both move and lay still simultaneously. Her muscles were achy and restless but any kind of movement was excruciating.

Opening her eyes was more difficult than she had anticipated, but she was thankful for the darkness of the room as she slowly became more aware of her surroundings and the aches and pains of her body.

Declan's comforting clean scent was all around her and she soon realized she was laying on his hand.

Her eyes travelled the length of his arm down to the rest of him as he slept leaning forward onto the bed.

How long has he been here?

She lifted her head slightly to get a better look at him, but the subtle movement woke him.

"Where do you hurt, Lex?" he asked softly as he slowly moved his hand from beneath her cheek.

"My hip is throbbing," she said in a raspy voice she didn't recognize.

Grabbing his phone, Declan his phone and fired off a text quickly before speaking.

"Caleb said it's too soon for more pain medicine, but an ice pack may ease the throbbing."

He turned around and rummaged through the medical bag on the dresser and emerged with a small ice pack, cracking it over his leg and shaking it back and forth before he brought it over.

Stiffening beneath the comforter she watched him reach for the edge of it to uncover her.

"I can do it," Lexi offered quickly, clutching the comforter closer to her body.

Stopping immediately, Declan sensed her uneasiness and retracted his hand. He sat in the chair next to the bed and maintained his distance as he spoke to her.

"I'll respect your wishes Lex, you know I will, but I need you to know that there is nothing under that blanket or under that t-shirt that would ever change the way I see you."

"You say that now," she said as her voice cracked and tears started pooling in the corners of her eyes.

"I mean it, Lex. Absolutely nothing in this world would be able to change the way I see you."

The corner of Lexi's mouth lifted into a slight smile as a tear escaped and trailed down her face.

"Please let me help you," he said as he reached over and wiped it away.

"Okay," She agreed.

He helped her peel back the comforter, but let her pull his t-shirt up on her own.

Keeping her eyes on Declan's face she watched for his expression to change, waiting for a look of horror or disgust as she lifted his shirt, but it never came.

He placed the cold pack as gently as he could on her stitches but the temperature and pressure caused her to hiss air in through her teeth to try and counter the pain.

"I know it sucks at first but that really will help after a little while," he assured her, reclaiming his chair and her hand in his.

Silence overtook the room as she stared at the ceiling trying not to think about the freezing sting radiating from her hip.

Declan broke the silence and his words served as the perfect distraction.

"Lexi... I'm so sorry." His words came out slow and desperate.

"I should have known. I should have picked up on the fact that you were in trouble."

"How could you possibly have known? I put on an act and it worked. That's not your fault. It's not like I screamed for help and you ignored me."