Chapter Eleven

Declan~

Watching Lexi sacrifice her own pride and insecurities for Claire pulled on Declan's heart strings in a way he'd never experienced.

Her tenderness for others was unmatched by anyone Declan had ever met, much less dated. It became more clear with every passing second that Lexi truly meant something to him.

His own mother had never modeled the type of affection and kindness that he saw in Lexi.

Thoughts of his mother never elicited any positive emotion from Declan.

Twelve years had passed since he had seen or heard from her, but he was sure she was still the same selfish woman who raised him. Always jumping from one mans bed to the next and dragging Declan along with her from state to state in search of money and sex. His need for a loving mother always took a backseat to her need for attention from men.

He had written his playbook for women's intentions based on the actions of his mother and Amanda who was basically her clone.

Both women were selfish and spiteful, but Lexi was just the opposite. She was completely selfless and put everyone's needs before her own. She was a pleaser, but not because she was weak or spineless, but because she gained joy by bringing joy to others.

Declan had never been on the receiving end of those types of actions and was becoming addicted to them quickly.

The music died down indicating the class had ended and the two women who were now out of breath and arm in arm walked out of the studio together.

Nate planted a kiss on Claire's head as she wrapped her arms around him and he mouthed a quick and silent thank you over her shoulder to Lexi as she passed.

"Need some of this?" Declan asked as he extended Lexi's water bottle to her.      

"Thanks," she said with a ragged breath as she unscrewed the cap of the bottle and downed most of its contents.

"I need a shower," she joked as she wiped sweat into her hairline.

"That was a sweet thing you just did for Claire," Declan said low next to Lexi's ear.

She smiled in response and finished off the rest of the water bottle.

"She's my best friend, I'd do anything for that girl."

Declan knew without a doubt that was true.

Claire latched onto Lexi's side a few seconds later.

"Breakfast then pool?" She asked Lexi excitedly.

Lexi smiled but lifted her head to make eye contact with Declan before responding.

Is she waiting for my approval?

The animalistic caveman inside of Declan howled internally at her submission as he realized she'd rather spend time with him than anyone else.

Understanding what was happening, Claire quickly interjected.

"Sorry Dec, she's all mine today."

Declan let out a laugh before he spoke, knowing that wasn't true in the least.

"That's okay, I'm working the convention with Nate and Caleb until 5:00."

Claire clapped her hands and squealed in response.

"Let me go grab my stuff real quick and I'll meet you up there for breakfast." Lexi said with a smile before turning toward the lockers.

Realizing he had the key to her locker in his pocket, Declan accompanied Lexi back to the weight room as the others left. He unlocked both lockers and the two grabbed their belongings.