Chapter Thirty Four

Declan ~

The next morning Declan and Nate stood in the kitchen waiting for their very hungover women to emerge from the bedrooms and join them. They were far from feeling one hundred percent themselves, but nothing compared to how Claire and Lexi were going to feel. 

Declan had thrown on a hoodie and a backwards hat with every intention of heading up to the gym at Knight to sweat out the toxins from last night.

The creaking of the door and soft groan grabbed his attention and he stifled a laugh as his eyes landed on Lexi. She was covered head to toe in a blanket with her eyes squinted into tiny slits as she battled the sunlight from the large bay windows.

"There's my girl," Declan boomed obnoxiously as he flashed her a big smile.

"Everything hurts and I'm dying." Her words were flat and groggy as she took a seat at the bar in the kitchen.

"But, you look smokin' hot."

Declan ran his nose up her neck and planted a kiss on her cheek.

"I highly doubt that," she sassed before resting her head onto the cool granite counter top. 

Another groan escaped from the guest bedroom behind them causing Nate to light up and laugh as well.

"How ya' feelin Claire Bear?" he crooned as she stumbled into the kitchen.

"Don't. Ask," she snapped.

"That good huh?"

"Where are you guys headed this early on a Sunday?" Claire asked as she eyed their athletic wear.

"The best way to get rid of a hangover is to sweat it out."

Declan's suggestion made both women roll their eyes.

"Well, have fun with that. We are going to plant ourselves on the couch and commiserate while we watch some trash TV."

"Lock up and set the alarm after we leave, okay, gorgeous?"

"You got it boss."

Lexi answered him, but didn't lift her head off of the kitchen bar and both men had to conceal how utterly hilarious both women were as they struggled to get themselves together.

*****

"Park in the back so we can hit the range after we lift," Nate instructed from the passenger seat of Declan's truck.

The men went for a run making a few laps around the facility before hitting the weights and gun range.

"How do you run in all that shit?" Nate asked Declan referring to his thick sweatshirt.

"Gotta sweat the poison out brother."

"Hell, I don't need a sweatshirt for that. I'm dyin' as it is."

About forty five minutes had passed before Nate got a call from Claire.

"How much do you want to bet this is a request for food?"

"What's up babe?"

Slowing their pace Nate stopped and put the phone on speaker as he caught his breath.

"Ugh. Tell Dec, his yard crew sucks! We can barely hear the TV," Claire whined.

Pulling out his phone Declan checked the motion on his front camera. A yard crew was parked outside of his neighbor's house unloading equipment.

"It's the neighbor's yard guys," Declan corrected.

"Kenny's got a crew who comes to mow his yard once a week and I agree they are loud and annoying as hell."