Bonus Chapter 1

Declan ~

Declan unlocked the front door of his house and led Lexi inside. She tensed against his arm the way she always did when they passed the spot near the door where Declan had been shot. He and Lexi fought against the flood of horrible memories that were associated with the house that Declan had once loved so much.

It had been Declan's first house and he bought it mostly for the massive back deck and entertaining space so he could host the teams. He thought he'd never sell it, but knowing the danger it held and seeing the way Lexi's tiny body tensed and stressed when she was inside it told him that house was no longer his home. Lexi was his home and if she wasn't safe and comfortable, it had to go.

They had been renting a place a few miles away for weeks, since Lexi had returned from the hospital, knowing it was too risky to stay in Declan's house with Estrada and Damion in the wind. Every time he and Lexi had walked through the doors to pack, he could feel the tension radiating off of her as if she were bracing herself for something terrible to happen.

"You watched me disarm the alarm, remember Lex." he soothed into her ear trying to ground her in the present.

She nodded at his words as her eyes frantically darted around the house.

"Want me to go room by room?" he asked, running his hand over her arm that had ticked and trembled a few times since they'd entered the house.

"You don't have to." Lexi said with her brows drawn in as if she were angry with her body's involuntary reaction.

"Would it make you feel better?" he asked softly.

"A little."

"Then that's exactly what we're going to do."

Declan gave her a smile and a kiss on the forehead making sure she knew he wasn't irritated or annoyed in the slightest at her request and was happy to do anything that made her world less scary.

He pulled his glock from the back waistband of his jeans, checking the magazine and undoing the safety with his thumb. Having done this a few times already, Lexi knew instinctively what to do if Declan needed to sweep the house with her inside. Instead of leaving her alone and vulnerable, Lexi was to stand behind Declan and clutch the back of his shirt, maintaining a physical connection with him while allowing him to block her body completely from anything or anyone concealed within the house. Declan cleared each room of the house, sweeping every corner with his gun raised and readied with Lexi at his back, feeling her let out a small sigh of relief once they had finished.

"Feel better?" Declan asked with a smile.

"Yes, thank you." she said softly.

Looking around at the packed boxes in the living room Lexi huffed a breath and folded her arms.

"I just hate that you have to sell your house. You love this house so much. When you first brought me here you told me you never wanted to sell it...It sucks and I'm really sorry Dec."

Lexi's guilt made Declan's stomach turn. Did she actually think he gave a shit about that house? She was his main priority. He could live under a bridge for the rest of his life as long as he had Lexi by his side. But all Lexi could focus on was Declan's feelings as she completely ignored and dismissed her own.

I love the way you love me Lex, but you're beating yourself up for nothing.

Tears welled in her eyes as she surveyed the boxes, prompting Declan to act immediately.

No tears, no tears. I can't handle those tears Lex.

"Lexi, baby, look at me."

Declan cupped her face in his large hands and tilted her head up toward him before he continued.