Chapter 7: Broken

Imagine drowning in an ocean of gray bubbles. Each bubble is a part of your body, a little bit of control which you can no longer command. They just stream past as you reach for them, tantalizingly out of reach. Even breathing is no longer up to you. The disgusting stench of blood fills your mouth but you can't spit. All you have left is pain, pain, and more pain. A thought occurs to me in the haze as we walk back along the trail.

I leveled to Lvl. 5.

That's important.

It means something...

Trying to keep my thoughts together is too hard. I soon lose my sense of here or there and just settle into the tortured, laborious walk of the dead. Me and this body of mine which no longer listens. We are going hunting. Some time later, a strange thing happens. The shaking gray screen that is my world starts to change color. This...red mist forms, everywhere, it looks almost coppery. A light burning sensation comes from behind. Like someone's put a burner to my back.

"Grrrrr?"

The one in charge of my body turns around at that. My tilted vision swings like a lamp dangling from the ceiling as my head listlessly goes with it. There's a dark cloud behind us. Fog envelopes everything, turning gray into endless red. The pain increases until I want to scream.

Please please please! STOP! IT HURTS!

Even though my thoughts are scattered, I can feel it burning me so intensely. Even the one in charge is roaring, flailing my body about. My vision bounces as my head snaps around, the cleaver still lodged in it.

What is happening?

I don't know.

I just want it to stop.

Suddenly, we are running forwards, panicking. The bodies of the wolves pass by and they are boiling. I can see it now. Their flesh is bubbling up and exploding into little chunks. For a split second, I see what's become of Yin and I want to retch. I would if I could. Then my own body begins to fall apart. The world tilts even more, the thin sinew holding my neck together beginning to bubble away. It hurts like fire, worse than being burned alive. I'm being turned into liquid and then-

*POP*

*POP*

*POP*

Bits of me go, leaving only pain.

"GRAAAWWRR!" The one in charge of my body screams as a figure appears in the red mist. It looks...almost like a woman in a dress. She takes a step towards us as we burn. I think I hear something as the one in charge rushes at her, trying to find something to latch onto even as we are boiled by the red mist.

"Oh? You're quite strong for someone this early. How sad...you're hurt! Let me help you..." Suddenly a hand comes out, it feels almost like someone is caressing our forehead. The one in charge moans and attempts to bite her, but now no one is in charge. Our body is boiling away faster, the pain growing until it's like walking in the sun. I want to scream, the other person is screaming, we're screaming, then just like that, there's a snap in my neck, and the familiar black I long for finally comes to save me.

"There...better?"

#

"AHHHHHHHHHHHH! IT BURNS IT BURNS!" My scream causes me to bolt upright as I smash into something hard. Holding my head, I open my eyes. "GET IT OFF ME!"

"OWWW!" Yin is knocked backwards by the impact as we clash heads once more. Her beautiful brown eyes scrunch up in pain and I can see the shining life in them. So different from the last visage I had of her. "Umm...are you okay? I'm sorry for scaring-"