Chapter 36: Tepis Pt.1

"Alright! All we need is one more person, and we'll have four people. It should be safe then." Rita excitedly pumps her fist in the air as I agree to join the party temporarily. If my calculations are correct, it's fine even if I gain a few levels here and there. Right now, the top Hunters should be able to handle my zombie, especially if they have a class already. Of course, I'm not going to go level willy-nilly. The Gray is a cunning thing. It's been quiet ever since my return for the most part, but I know it's still in me somewhere. Biding its time.

For some reason, I get the feeling that even if there are higher-level Hunters out there, I shouldn't let my level rise much.

"Okay, we have you and I to fight on the front lines. Mr. Hei, can watch our backs, but we're still missing one more person. Otherwise, Nigel will be angry at me for going out without a proper party. Is there anyone else who could sub for Jie?" Sierra paces back and forth outside the Hunter Guild Alliance. They brought me to a small-town west of Tiendas, called Snowfall. Well, I say small because I've spent time in the Capitals closer to the frontlines, but this place is fairly sizable. By counting the number of flags on outside the building, I can see that there are at least five different guilds in town, including the Flame Hawks and Black Ravens.

"How about, Tepis? He's a solo Hunter, but maybe he'd be willing to join if we promised him more of the rewards?" Rita asks as if hoping to be praised. Sierra thinks it over for a minute. I can already see where her thoughts are going.

"Well, yes, I think if we gave him a larger share, he'd be interested. I'll give him some of ours, huh Mr. Hei?"

I show her my notepad-

"No need. Give him my share. I'm not fighting anyways."

"What! Mr. Hei, do you even know what you're saying? For a new Hunter like you, the spoils from slaying System Monsters are extremely important! Even if you're not fighting, you need to survive at least!"

"It's fine. I really don't care. Let's get going already. Or I won't come."

My brusque note frightens the sisters.

"Big Sis! Just let it go. Mr. Hei is trying to be nice!" Rita begs and Sierra quickly agrees.

"W-Well if that's what he wants! Um...how about this, you look hungry, why don't we treat you to a good meal as repayment? Also, you probably need a place to stay after, huh? You could take Rita's spare room if you want. Would that work?" She offers and I tilt my head.

Stay in a newbie village? I mean...to be honest, I don't have anywhere to be. Now that I'm back...I don't know where to go.

I wonder what she has been up to? Even if I sought her out, she wouldn't remember me. I don't think I could take that again. With any luck, she was a high enough level that she was picked up by a good party after Tiendas collapsed. Doesn't that mean my obligation is technically over? She should be okay...well as okay as anyone can be in this twisted world. Maybe I should just stay here and live out the rest of my days peacefully?

"O-Okay."

"Great!" The sisters respond in unison. Just like that, I get roped into a newbie party.

Maybe she rubbed off on me after all that time.

Hopefully some of my teachings stuck with her as well.

Sierra brings us away from the center of Snowfall. In the outskirts, there's a small hut smoking in the distance. While most people are living in crumbling apartments or self-constructed log cabins, this person has clearly decided to distance themselves from the rest. A small pipe running out of the chimney drips gently as we approach.