Chapter 38: The Exterminator Pt.2

Inside the Guild's headquarters, Nigel looked over the reports. He pinched the bridge of his nose between thumb and forefinger, sighing deeply.

"I don't believe this. A nest of mutants appearing inside Feral Goblin Dungeon? Beside Snowfall nonetheless? But Bern never returned. And their party had no reason to lie." The scholarly man stood up, hearing his back crack. Despite the System's ability to strengthen one's body, it seemed that human flesh still adhered to some of the rules.

Things still hurt. That hasn't changed, at least.

Suddenly, a gust of cold air entered the room. The candles flickered and Nigel hurriedly moved his reports out of the line of fire.

"This damn window..." He turned around only to frown.

Didn't I shut the window after I lit the stove?

"Does anyone else know."

"Who the bloody hell?!" Nigel whirled to find an unfamiliar man in his study. Immediately, he reached backwards for his trusty sword. However, his blade wasn't lying where he left it by the door. The Flame Hawk's Guild Leader felt a chill in his heart as the hearth flickered from flakes of unwelcome snow from the window. "Who are you?"

"Does anyone else know? About the mutation?" The stranger was clothed in dark red rags, almost black really. He didn't wear any insignia on his chest, but Nigel knew that he must be a high-level Hunter to have snuck into his study undetected. "I won't ask again."

"What are you...you're talking about the dungeon?" Nigel hurriedly calculated the odds of getting out the door. I'd have to turn around first. Pull it open. Run through. How high is this man's agility? Can I chance it? Or should I yell for help? But no one else is around at this hour. Besides...I'm the highest-level person here. "How did you hear about that? The only one who should know is the messenger! What have you done to Jacob?"

"Shh...you talk too much." The stranger moved closer, and Nigel squinted as he came into the light. Underneath the long hood, a pair of brilliant blue eyes appeared, like oval sapphires. "I've come to take care of your problem. But this requires discretion. Explain everything you know to me."

"Oh, you're the Hunter we sent for!" Nigel felt the clammy hand of death squeezing his heart loosen somewhat as he realized who this man was. "Was all this really necessary? All you had to do was knock! I know you high-levels don't like to advertise your presence but as a Guild Leader I know how to keep a secret-"

"Shut up!" The crimson-cloaked figure suddenly surged forward and the man's agility startled Nigel so badly that he fell backwards.

Dear god...what is his level?

"U-Uhh..."

"Good. Now answer the question. Properly, from the beginning. What was reported? What have you seen?" The high-level strided over to Nigel's chair and took a seat. Even though he was sitting, Nigel didn't feel much better.

I hate dealing with high-levels from the city.

"One of our newbie parties went in to a regular training mission. I checked the records myself. The place has been getting regularly cleared by the Black Hawk Guild. So, it should have been impossible for any sort of evolution to have taken place without us knowing. And yet...somehow, Bern's party reported multiple mutant variants including Goblin Swordsmen and Shieldmaidens. I didn't want to believe it, but it seems to be true. They collapsed the main entrance, but if you don't help us clear out the infestation, they'll dig their way out soon enough! Who knows what's evolving down there! You have to help us!" Nigel was unable to control himself by the end. He knew he sounded pathetic, but it had been keeping him up all night. Plus, there was the matter of his own guildmates still being inside.

Sierra...Rita...I'll get you out of there!

"Mmm, I see." The man stood up after listening to Nigel. As he did, the chair squeaked.

*Creak*

I should really get that fixed.

For some reason, Nigel was really sweating. The room felt too hot. However, the window was still open letting in the snowstorm.

"So, who else knows about this? Anyone besides yourself?" The high-level Hunter paced one step towards the fireplace. He was holding something under his robe, but Nigel couldn't quite see what it was.

"Well, I've done my best to keep things under wraps to prevent a panic, but doubtless rumors have begun to leak out. It's a small newbie town, my friend. Impossible to hide the truth from everyone. At the very least, Bern's party will have told their Guild Leader as well." It was getting so hot Nigel was struggling to think. Damnit, why am I losing it?

"Yes...I am aware of the Black Raven's incompetence and inability to keep a secret. But who else would know? This is important, Nigel, think it over." The Hunter from the city didn't seem very interested in the Black Raven Guild.

"Hmm, well directly, one of my guild's parties was also unfortunately present when the mutation was discovered. Bern's party says that they were still inside when the tunnel collapsed. If you could help us rescue them, I'd be happy to post a reward-"

"I'm not interested in your money!" The Hunter turned around sharply, and Nigel got the feeling that he was scowling. "So that's it. This party of yours, yourself, and the Black Ravens. No one else knows?"

"Like I said, it's a small town...chances are everybody knows already. Just cuz the word isn't out officially doesn't mean..." Nigel trailed off as he realized his sword was in the stranger's hand. It came out from underneath that crimson cloak and suddenly those bright blue eyes no longer seemed enticing. Instead, they were like the eyes of the devil.

"Nigel...Nigel...Nigel. That is unfortunate. Why'd you have to tell me that, huh? If you hicks could keep your mouth shut, none of this would be necessary. Now I have to clean up your mess."

"My...mess?" Nigel was bewildered. "Is this my fault somehow?"

"Well, really it is. If you hadn't allowed word of this to spread, the rest of Snowfall might have been allowed to live. At least they might have made it until the evacuation. I'm afraid now though...I'm going to have to take care of them. No worries though, I'll make it quick."

Nigel backed away from the devil, though the stranger did not raise his voice. An unholy feeling of terror was running through him and now he realized why he was sweating so much.

It was a warning. I should have felt it. All this killing intent.

Damn.

Nigel opened his mouth one last time, hoping to at least make up for his mistake before his death,

"EVERYONE! HE'S GOING TO KI-"

*Shing*

Unfortunately, as his head fell onto his own carpet by his own blade, no one was around to hear. The high-level Hunter sighed. His crimson-cloak was speckled with a few drops of blood. Dropping Nigel's sword, he put his hands in his pockets. Whistling, he kicked the guild leader's head before strolling out the front door.

"No need to call out so loudly. They'll be joining you in a second."