Chapter 21: It Broke Everything

Things fall silent in an instant. All that can be heard is moaning and this horrible dripping.

*Plop*

*Plop*

*Plop*

Then there's another gargantuan footstep and the ground shakes. The moaning stops. Of the dozen men in the group, nine of them went in to help Mr. Sung. Two of them remain, just outside the range of the darkness, frozen in fear. Slightly behind them, I already know what we need to do. Grabbing Yin by the arm, I whirl around.

"Go! GO!" I roar. Penelope stares over my shoulder, not understanding what has happened, but I'm sure if any of them had the sense to check their party system, they'd know their friends are already dead. "If you want to live get the hell out of here!"

"W-What happened? Mr. Sung? Are you in there?" One of the shell-shocked two men still outside the shadows stammers. His words only anger the beast inside. It steps out into the light and draws up to its full height. Looking like the devil himself, the Daemonic Minotaur raises its shiny silver axe to the sky. And cleaves downwards. Credit to the man, he tries to raise his rubber bin lid and shield the blow. But it makes no difference. The lid is crushed within a split second. Along with the man's arm. His whole body is smashed down into the pavement.

*Crack*

"Heh..." The minotaur smiles, as steam appears in its nostrils. Huffing, it stomps on the ground sending a small earthquake through the surrounding area and turns on the other man. This one's smarter. Seeing the fate of his friend, he twists around and runs!

"We have to help him!" Penelope cries. Even Yin is ready to flee, but this dumb woman doesn't understand what we're dealing with here. "Run, Sam! Get out!"

"You want to add to the death count? Once it's done with him, it's coming after us!" I don't have time to argue with this stupid girl. Tugging Yin along, I grab Penelope and drag her away. "Come on!"

"B-But?" She gasps before giving up. Behind us, we can hear the last man, Sam, screaming for help. If he has a brain, he'll duck into a side alley, try to find somewhere the minotaur can't fit.

*Thud Thud Thud*

The heavy footsteps of the beast rumble from behind and I don't turn back to look. Smacking Penelope who's sneaking glances over her shoulder, I shout in her ear!

"Don't look! Just run idiot!"

Then the three of us take off like bloody rabbits running from a fox.

*Thud*

*Thud..*

*Thud...*

The footstep behind us get quieter for a few seconds. I sneak a glance over my shoulder. The Daemonic Minotaur has turned away.

That idiot finally decided to split off? Good, he'll buy us time!

Suddenly, I realize there is someone ahead of us. An icon has been blinking in the corner of my vision. But I haven't had a chance to read it while running.

"Yo!" The middle-aged priest man in white robes holds out his mace. Behind him, the small woman with her club from the entrance stands with a shortsword in hand. She's gotten rid of her club at some point. "It's you guys!"

"Get out of the way! It's going to find us!" Yin hisses, but the man who looks like a priest just chuckles. Behind him, three dozen people appear. I recognize some of the faces from the entrance but many of them are new.

"Wha?" Penelope gasps as she sees so many Hunters come out of nowhere. I stop in front of Yin and the priest while she catches up.

"How about it? I saw you guys were afraid, but don't you want to hunt the Mini Boss together?" The priest says something strange.