Chapter 20: Newbie Party

Honestly it's impossible to get a new story to gain any readers on wattpad these days. Royalroad giving this story so much more love

Yin lags back to try to speak to me. However, Mr. Sung and the others are reluctant to move forward without their top Hunter in front so she's forced to give up. I nod, letting her know it's okay. She despondently pushes deeper into the city. Though no one has said it, we're all unconsciously pushing towards the tallest building in the center of the central business district, Tiendas Tower. I check my history in the System. The Daemonic Zombie which Yin finished off shows up there since I helped and received a little experience.

Lvl. 11 Daemonic Zombie

Huh, Lvl. 11 for the first monsters inside a dungeon. That's high. I'd guess 3/4ths of the Hunters here or more never even killed a zombie before. Which means they all started at Lvl. 1. That explains all of the deaths in the first couple minutes. Of course, those who manage to survive will level up like goddamn rabbits breeding on an island. Imagine...if these people don't all die, the balance of the outside world will completely change from the past in my memories. Compared to the Hunters in the West, these guys are going to become monsters!

Up ahead, Yin is talking with Mr. Sung and another guy. She glances back at me from time to time, but I just stay calm. After a few minutes of walking, we run into something startling though. The girl who I haven't met in the group, a plain black-haired oriental girl named Jeanice suddenly shrieks.

"Eurgh! I stepped on something!"

We all turn to see. She lifts her flat shoes off the ground with disgust to reveal a puddle of dark liquid smeared underneath. Various torches and lamps have come on to give us some light now that the sun outside the barrier is going down. At least the System is kind enough not to have us fight completely in the dark.

"Oh my..." Penelope gasps next to me. "Is that...blood?"

"Looks like the Hunters ahead of us got unlucky." I scratch my head, checking the Hunter counter which just reset.

1,150,128

"God...no...we're all going to die!" One of the men following Yin loses his nerve. He takes off his hard construction hat and quivers. "I'm getting out of here!"

"You can't!" Yin quickly runs over and grabs him by the shoulder. "Mr. Zhang, the entrance has already been sealed off! If you go back, you'll be all alone!"

"Who cares! It's safer than going into whatever did this!" Mr. Zhang's eyes bug out as he points to the trail of blood. Clearly several people have been dragged away. "I'm out of here, who's with me! We'll wait out this dungeon until someone kills the boss!"

"Y-Yea! Mr. Zhang is right! I'm with him!" Jeanice runs away from the puddle of blood and goes to stand by Mr. Zhang. The middle-aged construction worker and business woman look at everyone else, hoping that someone will join them. Immediately, all eyes go to Mr. Sung and Yin. Uneasily, my "friend" taps her boots on the pavement.

*Click*

"Um, I don't recommend leaving the group! Otherwise, you'll be on your own. But I won't stop you if that's what you want!" Yin says shakily. Mr. Sung on the other hand has a bit more experience leading people. Clearly, he used to be the boss of this construction group. Putting a hand up, he takes off his construction hat and lets his tufty gray hair come out.

"Listen guys. We need to stick together during these hard times!" The older man runs his hand through his head. A few white strands fall out. "Jeanice, Mr. Zhang, we finally found someone who is pretty strong. If we stick with Yin, we can get stronger as a group! Together, a team, just like the old days! But if you leave, you'll reduce our overall strength. Besides, who knows if the outer city is even safe anymore! I'm just saying, I got you all this far, if you have some more faith in me, I'm confident the Sung Construction Co. workers can come out on top yet again!"