Chapter 37: Kidnapped Pt.1

"W-What...no...there were others here?"

"Mr. Bern it's okay! Tepis has Basic Combat, he can help! Tell us what did this to you!" Sierra exclaims as she sees the horrible blow in Bern's side. It looks someone's smashed an axe into his thick leather armor. The tough protection has been sheared apart and blood soaks through from his gut. "Oh my god! Where's your party! We need to get you out of here!"

"R-Run....RUN! You have to leave now!" Bern's eyes bug out as he tries to warn us of the creature in the shadows. However, the girls are too busy trying to staunch the bleeding. Sierra tries to blot away the blood, but her rag becomes soaked in seconds. "LEAVE ME AND RUN!"

"Damn, Mr. Bern. It's going to be okay. I'll deal with this thing off, and then we'll find your party!" Tepis sees that Bern is in shock and raises his scimitar as the thing in the darkness begins to walk forwards. Instantly, I sense a level of killing intent which doesn't belong in a newbie dungeon. My eyes narrow, zooming in with the System assist and I see a long thin blade gleaming in the dark. Stop...this is wrong! ALL WRONG! That's not a dagger! It has a sword! Normal goblins don't use swords!

"You don't understand!" Bern howls in agony as Sierra wipes her sweaty brow and pushes her hands onto his wound. "It doesn't matter what you do, you have to leave!"

"One second, Mr. Bern, let me deal with this thing before we talk!" Tepis blurs into motion, speeding into motion. At the same time, he raises his left hand and reveals a gleaming Solar Gem. The light inside explodes from his fingertips!

"What the hell is that?"

"That's...a goblin?"

*CLANG*

Tepis's silver scimitar clashes against a rusted iron longsword with a rat's skull embossed on the handle. Bern continues to howl over and over while the boy and the strange mutated goblin which stands almost as tall as him, battle it out.

"Just get out! GO NOW!"

*CLANG CLANG*

It's too late, however. Tepis swings hard to the tall goblin's left. I notice that instead of the usual rags, this one has more complete clothing, and even sports a tattered cape. My thoughts churn as they exchange blows.

They're...fencing. It knows how to sword fight? In a dungeon like this? A goblin with a sword has to be a mutant variety, unless it's a boss. Either way, it's at least Lvl. 20, probably higher! What level is Tepis even? Even if he can beat it, can he do it safely?

"I got this!" The solo Hunter is fast. In addition to that, he definitely put some points in strength because he's matching this abnormally tall goblin blow for blow. At one point, they come close enough to us that I get a glimpse of its status.

Lvl. ?? Goblin Swordsman

"Take this!" A second later, the scimitar slips past and Tepis scores first blood! The goblin hobbles, as its thigh is cut open. However, it quickly regains its composure, holding up its rusty blade and waiting patiently for the Hunter to close in. The lack of fear from a goblin is terrifying. It faces death like a human.

"Get him Tepis!"

"You can do it!"

Sierra and Rita cheer while attending to Bern. Despite the goblin's insane strength, Tepis has Basic Swordsmanship unlocked. With the System's help, he manages to overpower it. A swift parry sends the Goblin Swordsman's blade into the dirt and that's the end. Tepis steps on it, trapping the goblin's sword before effortlessly cutting off its head.

"Got it! Whew, that thing was Lvl. 21. I actually got some good experience!" The boy leans in over his kill and swipes his Hunter Card to claim it. By the time he turns back, Bern has almost passed out. The big man's eyes are glazed over, and he can barely speak. Tepis hurries back to his side while I glance uneasily at the darkness. "Mr. Bern! I killed it, tell us where your party is!"