Chapter 25: Who Killed The Mini Boss?

*HISSSSS!*

A massive reptilian head surges by.

Lvl. ?? Corrupted Snake

There's no time.

I just see fangs gleam as it opens its mouth before the strike. One of the worst types of ambush predators to face in the dark. Especially this early in the Calamity. If it has a high concentration of virus, one bite is fatal and these snakes are incredibly fast! Landing one strike is their specialty!

"L-Level 20?!" Yin stumbles and I quickly reach out and shove her to the side. My cleaver swings, clanging against a snake fang the length of my head.

*HISSSSS!*

The underside of its jaw brushes against me just barely but it's so big that I'm shoved aside. My arm is bruised as I tumble to the ground. Little rock chips dig into my elbows and stones scatter.

Stupid! Stupid! Yin doesn't have Basic Tracking so she can't see well in the dark! But since she's a higher level I got careless and let her walk in front!

"Hei! It's hard to see! Are you okay?" She calls out to me from the other side of the snake's massive body. It's like we're separated by a living, breathing wall. I hear something smack into wet flesh as Yin launches a counterattack before the Corrupted Snake can pull back. "Hold on! I'm going to blow this thing away!"

"It's an ambush specialist!" I yell back, "Don't let it recover! This is our chance!"

*Shing*

*Shing*

*Shing*

"HAAARRRG!" I press off with both hands and leap to my feet smoothly. To my left, I can see the snake's eyes gleam a golden yellow in the reflection of the lamp down the track. It sticks out its tongue in rage as Yin attacks it from the other side. "We're not letting you get another shot!"

*Smack*

I raise my cleaver and let it chop into the snake's hide. It's literally twice as thick as my body, I carve a great gash into its body, but it's hardly a fatal blow. The snake thrashes and the tail strikes me. I'm sent spinning away before hitting the wall.

"HAAH!" The coppery taste of blood fills my mouth. Spitting onto the subway tracks, I raise my hoarse voice. "You done yet, Yin?"

"Ready!" The worried girl's voice makes it sound like she's in much better shape than me. I did my best to distract this thing and keep it from withdrawing while she charged up her System Skill. Now it's time to see if all our hard work will pay off. "Take this!"

*Snap*

The little click as Yin brings her fingers together is matched by an explosive bang as every strike she's laid on the snake is activated all at once.

*PUCHI!*

*HISS-?!*

Instantly, the entire length of the Corrupted Snake stretches out. It's hard to see in the darkness, but I feel warm disgusting reptile blood land on my face as each cut explodes. After I wipe my eyes with a sleeve, the monster has been turned into many pieces. Yin flourishes her sword before leaping over one of the giant chunks. Running to my side, she quickly extends a hand.

"You okay? I was worried that wouldn't kill it, but I didn't want to wait any longer!" She breathes heavily from using the System Skill. "It looks like eight marks was more than enough though..."

I take her hand and let her pull me to my feet. Gingerly, I stretch each part of me, feeling the deep bruises from before mix with new ones.

"It's fine. That thing's level was just a bit high. Plus, I wasn't expecting a monster that focuses on one shot kills down here. Those are the worst. From now on, I'll walk in front. My Basic Tracking Skill gives me better vision in the dark." I let out a sigh of relief.