Chapter 44: New Light Pt.2

"Don't move!" The figure in the door orders. When she steps into the light, I almost jerk back in shock. "You have no idea how long I spent doing your stitches!"

"You...you're!" I have no idea how to react to this strange person. Though she could definitely be called pretty or attractive, her unusual appearance startles me. It's like looking at a ghost. Yin was pale, but this girl is far beyond that. Her skin is translucent, almost sickly looking. As if she hasn't seen the sun...ever. Her features are very proportionate, but the most eye-catching thing is just that.

Her eyes.

They're like gemstones.

When the lantern shines on her irises, the light is broken up into a kaleidoscope of fractured colors. As she looks me over, the colors shift and dance in a bizarre display. Her hair is a deep shade of violet which seems to blend into the shadows when the light isn't directly on it. I don't know what to make of her.

"Well, your voice is working, at least." The girl steps deeper into the room, and I notice that underneath her white dress, she doesn't leave a shadow. What the heck? Is she a Drowned Soul? But that doesn't make sense. "You've been sleeping for two weeks. How do you feel?" Her kind words further assure me that she is very much sentient. No Drowned Soul possesses the ability to hold a conversation like this. However...that only makes me more wary. Keeping an eye on the dagger on her hip, I meet my first Underworld person. Two weeks? I've been out that long?

"What are you?" I answer her question with another question. She gives an amused look and strides over to a tray beside the lamp. On it, I see rolls of gauze and various surgical implements. "I've never seen anyone like you before."

"Hmph, that's rude!" Her ready-smile convinces me that she's just joking. Watching her uncork a jug of water and pour it into a kettle, I realize she's making tea. "First time in the Underworld, huh?"

"You know about the surface?" My throat rasps, but it's significantly better than since leaving the void prism. While I was asleep, my body must have healed. "Hold on a minute, how did I even get here? I was by the..."

"I carried your butt. And it was quite heavy so you're welcome!" The violet-haired girl sighs and her rainbow eyes swirl beautifully as she swings around and brings over two cups and the kettle. Setting it down on a desk beside me, she pulls a seat over from the corner and sits. Then she unscrews the top of the lamp and puts the kettle on top. "You're lucky, you know. If I hadn't found you, I feel like you probably would have died before the System healed you. The Underworld isn't a very good place to take a nap in the open."

"I'd imagine so." I say dryly as she waits for the water to boil. "Do you get visitors like me...often?" My confusion makes her laugh gently. It sounds like someone pleasantly tapping glass. Very melodic, but not quite completely human.

"From time to time. This is Meteos City after all. Lately we've been getting quite a few like you. It's upsetting the Succession." Her ridiculously pale hands take the kettle off the flame and drop packets of some herb inside. A delicious if very pungent smell soon begins to fill the room. "Meteos connects to a lot of different places. The System is unpredictable. You just had the good luck of being in the right place at the right time. Not everyone gets to visit the Underworld...while they're alive anyway."

"Huh." Not entirely sure what to make of this, I accept the cup of tea she holds out to me. While I'm minorly worried of some unnatural poison even the System won't be able to cure, I figure this girl probably wouldn't have bothered to heal me if she was planning on killing me. "So...what do you want?"

"What...do I want?" She seems surprised for the first time. "What do you mean, what do I want?"

"I mean, what do you want with me?" I ask her and she gives me a disbelieving stare. "Why bother to heal me?"