Chapter 39: Losing Your Light Pt.2

"Shouldn't you be sealing the exits?" I ask even though it will raise questions. At this point, my only hope is to confuse him while the others escape. Gotta buy time! "Where's your friend?"

"You know about Zena?" His gaze changes and a faint trace of killing intent spills out. "Who are you? Did Nigel get a message to you, somehow? System Messages shouldn't work this far from the city...no...who are you?"

"Hei? Are you okay?" The person I least want to hear right now, pokes her head back into the tunnel. "Aren't you coming?"

Sierra, why didn't you run?

Damnit DAMNIT DAMNIT!

It's all screwed!

"Hei? That's your name?" Crimson-cloak raises an eyebrow as he sees Sierra holding Rita at the entrance. The back of my neck is sticky with sweat. I can see it going through his head. "Ah...the rest of you are still here. That's good..."

"What?" Sierra's face wrinkles up and I reach inside my coat and whip my cleaver out.

"RUN SIERRA! JUST GO AND DON'T COME BACK!" I charge the high-level who stares at me from under his cloak. Not a hint of panic enters his expression.

Only disdain.

"I don't like the look you're giving me, Rat." He sneers and a sword appears in his hand, long, crimson, and bloody. "Giving yourself up for your friends? I suppose there is honor amongst animals."

"DIE!" I can't resist saying something useless as I raise my cleaver back and swing. Despite all my experience, I have no hidden techniques, no overpowered stats, no System Skills. Just Basic Combat Proficiency. Against someone possibly over fifteen levels higher, without the element of surprise, or even a real sword, this is the purest form of bluff. It's no surprise that I'd lose...

*Puchi*

*Puchi*

"ARRRGH!"

Oh my god. It hurts.

My world goes dark completely-

He hits me twice so fast it feels simultaneous.

I can't see.

When I fall to the ground, everything is black.

Not gray, not red, just black.

But I don't wake from this nightmare-

He took my eyes.

I roll around, writhing in pain, like a worm in the mud. Choking, drowning on nothing.

Owowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow!!!!!!!

"That's better. Little rat, scurry around in the darkness where you belong. Be good and stay here while I fetch your friends." His words are not lost on me. Despite all the blood leaking from my face, I pull through the pain, the agony, to yell out.

"RUN! GET AWAY! HE'S COMING!"

I don't hear anything from Sierra or Tepis. Just the high-level's footsteps as he walks up the tunnel. Well, that and my own screaming.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-!"

My broken voice devolves into coughs which do nothing but make the pain worse. Drops of blood stream down my face like tears and splatter on the ground below. I try to catch them, hold in my life, but I can't see them fall. Desperation makes me try to touch my eyes. I wish I hadn't.