14. the house

The defeat both Clarke and I felt was evident in our body language as the two of us and Roan loaded into the boat brought over by Miller.

We had radioed before he had even arrived, letting everyone know what had happened. None of us wanted to break it to them in person, so doing it over the radio seemed much easier.

Miller provided us with little solace, informing us that both Abby and Raven were suffering from some sort of brain damage due to the EMP devices we had used on them to free them from ALIE. According to Miller, Raven had already experienced three seizures and without rest, she was only going to get worse.

I felt sick to my stomach, both the impending death of us all and Raven's new condition causing anxiety to course through my body.

I was so anxious that not even the incredible sight of the island could break me free of the state I was in.

It was unlike anything I had ever seen before. The laboratory was huge, covered top to bottom in a pristine white colour. It was luxurious to say the least.

But it was useless to us at this point. Until we found another solution, it was just something to look at.

"You okay?" Roan's voice was low as he helped me unload one of the barrels of fuel.

I ignored him for a moment, staying silent as we carried the barrel into one of the storage rooms.

"Not really." I finally answered.

He looked up at me, a gentle look on his face. "We will figure it out. It's the only choice we have."

I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "Maybe I should have just gone with Bellamy."

Roan shook his head, leaning slightly against the barrel. "We need you here."

Just as I was about to argue, Clarke rounded the corner, Emori in tow. "Avery," she called. "We're heading up to the house. My mom wants you to come with Emori and I."

"For what?" I questioned skeptically, not really sure what I could be needed for at this point.

"There's food and showers up there." Emori explained, this being the first time the two of us had ever spoken. "You look like you could use both of those things."

My eyes flickered toward her, my brow rising slightly. "Okay, then." I conceded.

Roan gave me a small wink. "Try not to miss me too much."

I rolled my eyes, joining the two girls. "I think I'll manage just fine."

---

The house was even grander and more luxurious than the laboratory.

I looked around in awe as I followed after Emori and Clarke, taking in the scene around me.

I could only imagine the life a person could have had living here.

As we neared closer, the sound of music bled from within the house.

Emori looked at me over her shoulder, giving me a tight smile as she pulled the door open, leading Clarke and I into the house.

The music, no longer contained by the windows, caused me to wince slightly.

The inside of the house was just as beautiful as the outside. Like the laboratory, most of it was a pristine white colour, the kind that hurt your eyes due to the excessive brightness of it.